Queenies fish and chip shop

Nice to see a picture of 'Queenies' on Nethershire Lane in the Star. I remember going to school at St.Patricks with Connie and John Fusco. I wonder if its still in the family? Does anyone know the history of the place?

Don't know the history but it's been known as queenies for as long as I remember and I'm in late sixties. It's now owned by the bloke who owns the shop next door. We have always known the shops there as Hartley Brook shops - Nethershire are at the other end at the junction with Belhouse Road

I seem to remember it being called quibells in the 60s. could be wrong.

I used to deliver milk there at weekends around '62 and for a few years after and it was definitely Queenies then.

I got it wrong. It was not on Nethershire Lane, but Hartley Brook Road!!!!

I`ve lived on the shiregreen since `62 and apart from a couple of years when they changed its name it`s always been queenies. They changed it back to queenies recently. Not had anything from there in a while but they`re supposed to be lovely (according to my mum)

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 03:36 ----------

Who remembers the Bookies at the side being a butchers?

When I went to Hartley Brook School we used to use this chippy You used to by a small uncut loaf take the middle out of it and stuff it with chips very good chip shop then

Nice to see a picture of 'Queenies' on Nethershire Lane in the Star. I remember going to school at St.Patricks with Connie and John Fusco. I wonder if its still in the family? Does anyone know the history of the place?

Well I am 68 now and my grandmother used to live in a flat opposite above the Meadow Dairy shop .On a Saturday we always walked over from Lowhouse Rd to my grams and had Fish and Chips at night from Queenies .I am talking 50 years ago now and it was Queenies then and the guy who owned it ran it with his wife who I belive was Italian and he was a stocky guy with a moustache and had a Scottish accent .Now there is a chippy in Whitby and it is called Fusscoes and that is the name of the people who owned Queenies all those years ago and I wonder if they are related.The Fusscoes did retire in the 90s and went to live in Whiston Rotherham.In my opinion they were the most tastiest fish and chips ever and had a taste of their own.

By the way would not want to walk back home from there now late at night.