Higher taxes for owners of hybrid cars

Would be interesting to know how many hybrid owners would purchase another hybrid at this present moment

Are people who own hybrid cars tax avoiders?

At the petrol station I saw a bloke fill up his car for £35 and no doubt will get to drive 500 miles, maybe 600 for £35

But the bloke behind him filled his car up for £125

Bearing in mind the impact cars have on the planet i did feel the guy paying £125 was paying a fair price for the damage his car will do

But the hybrid car owner is surely deliberately avoiding his tax obligations and wrecking the environment at the same time.

So would it not make sense to make anyone who drives a hybrid pay a penalty of £1000 every year to make up for their deliberate method of paying their fair share.

As usual talking a load of rubbish :loopy: but you are right on this one (If the car does 80mpg then 6 gallons X 80 miles is 480 miles)

Fuelly is a good indicator for real world MPG figures. That the Prius - that's supposed to do 94.1mpg.

But owners report 38-58 mpg.

My gen 3 Prius would easily do 76 mpg if driven properly and not like a sports car,the best i ever had was 99mpg from my home to Worksop thro' Thorpe Salvin..although it was mostly downhill and i never went above thirty :D they are actually better using locally..in traffic..as the engine will cut out more often and it will run on electric power only.

As stated in my previous post, our electric car cost more to run than a good diesel.

Angel1.

The last diesel i had was a 6 month old E220 Cdi Elegance,lovely car very good on fuel for a large auto (circa 56mpg) but it sounded like a farm tractor, my previous one a C220 Cdi Avantgarde estate was even worse, very noisy as all are...my hybrid is whisper quiet ....P.S i have also heard a lot of bad reviews about the PHEV...

Then there is the cost of "scrapping" the old battery. And the cost of replacing it, £5K for my car. (soon to be ex car thankfully).

Angel1.

I find this very hard to believe,is there any proof ???...Toyota/Lexus warranty the batteries for 5 years and add an extra year every time it has a Hybrid health check which i had a couple of times free with a service..can also buy an extended Toyota warranty after 5 years/3 with Lexus for two years for around £500..this also puts another two years on battery...you obviously bought the wrong Hybrid.

Hybrid cars are a con they do very little miles on battery power and for most of the time using conventional engines

No,not a con,.. ( the biggest con has been people encouraged to buy diesel by the Government then putting the fuel price up dramatically....it was 50p a gallon cheaper when i bought my first diesel.... before telling them they are going to be banned..very soon in the Netherlands..allegedly)...but yes, my Lexus hybrid will only do about 1.5 miles solely on electric power up to 20mph as my Prius did,but the batteries recharge very quickly regenerated from the braking system as well as the engine,when in town/heavy traffic the petrol engine rarely stirs,and using a CVT transmission makes for very easy motoring...It seems a lot of people ( armchair critics who have never owned one) just don't like Hybrids...i am on my third...my first was a Honda Civic saloon with a 1300 engine but this was only assisted by the electric motor and had no electric power to use solely,still 65-70 mpg was normal

Would be interesting to know how many hybrid owners would purchase another hybrid at this present moment

I would/will definitely..although i would never buy another diesel

..It seems a lot of people ( armchair critics who have never owned one) just don't like Hybrids...i am on my third...my first was a Honda Civic saloon with a 1300 engine but this was only assisted by the electric motor and had no electric power to use solely,still 65-70 mpg was normal

I would/will definitely..although i would never buy another diesel

I had a look at a hybrid for my latest comapny car..the dealer loaned me one for a week...absolutely rubbish for my job..I do a lot of motorway miles and the fuel consumption./performance was nowhere near what I get out of the diesel car I actually went for..

Edited by truman

I had a look at a hybrid for my latest comapny car..the dealer loaned me one for a week...absolutely rubbish for my job..I do a lot of motorway miles and the fuel consumption./performance was nowhere near what I get out of the diesel car I actually went for..

And a coal lorry would be rubbish for your job, so what, hybrids were never sold as motorway cruisers, they were sold as city cars. The best car for lots of motorway running is the good old diesel.

Have to agree with above, Hybrids and EV's work really well in city centres (so does the tram tho)

Diesels have always been best on the motorway (or farm), the biggest con was selling them as a 'city car'.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 14:44 ----------

I had a look at a hybrid for my latest comapny car..absolutely rubbish for my job

and yet the government are pushing them as a company car with discounted BIK tax.

Have to agree with above, Hybrids and EV's work really well in city centres (so does the tram tho)

Diesels have always been best on the motorway (or farm), the biggest con was selling them as a 'city car'.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 14:44 ----------

and yet the government are pushing them as a company car with discounted BIK tax.

I can only speak from my own experience on this...the hybrid wasn't suitable for my job..30k ish miles per year ,mostly motorway/A roads. The small petrol engine in it wasn't up to it.The fact that government are pushing it doesn't mean they're suitable..just the gov. has targets to meet in numbers of hybrids on the road I suppose

I can only speak from my own experience on this...the hybrid wasn't suitable for my job..30k ish miles per year ,mostly motorway/A roads. The small petrol engine in it wasn't up to it.The fact that government are pushing it doesn't mean they're suitable..just the gov. has targets to meet in numbers of hybrids on the road I suppose

I believe the ones the Gov are pushing are the "plug in" type with around £3-£5000 off as an incentive,i sold my last diesel when i retired..early...as it was no longer suitable and bought my first hybrid (Honda Civic Saloon)..mainly for local use..as well as longer journey's....was that impressed i bought a Prius and now Lexus..the first thing i noticed was how quiet they were ..a far cry from the noisy diesel..cheap to insure,cheap to run,whisper quiet (don't have to turn volume full up on radio to drown engine noise out :) ,excellent fuel economy,no road fund licence..although it has now changed for the newer ones... but each to their own..my own car is 1.8 litre 134 BHP, the IS300H is 2.5 litre 219 BHP about the same size as a 3 series so there would be plenty of power there for you...I think a lot of die-hard diesel drivers will take a lot of convincing tho'...drive safe :):)

Diesels have always been best on the motorway (or farm), the biggest con was selling them as a 'city car', and yet the government are pushing them as a company car with discounted BIK tax.

This is the best selling ultra low emission vehicle, it doesn't look very 'green' to me.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/mitsubishi/outlander/

Over 4,000 were sold last year, they beat BMW 3 series by over 1,000

Looks to me like a 'perk' for the rich.