The EU and the Irish Border.

One in five of which part North or South.

Good question.

The North, which is all that matters under the inalienable rights for a people to self determination. It's why the Falklands, Gibraltar, Scotland, the Isle of Man etc all have their individuality determined relationships with the UK.

What Eire or Corbyn thinks of reunification is irrelevant but as it happens I understand that it's below 50% across the island of Ireland anyway.

If Theresa May has the balls she can get the Ireland deal. The alternative for the DUP is forcing a general election. Then either the labour party will win it and they are more sympathetic to a united Ireland type deal. Or the Tories will win with a majority in which case the DUP can get stuffed. Or there will be a hung parlament again in which the DUP may not hold the balance of power. Either way the DUP can push, for now, but only so far.

Good point, it's time May told the DUP to shove off.

She has proved so desperate to cling on to power, she is beholden to a few extremist (leaders)

For such a weak, nonentity of a PM, she is about to preside over some history between these islands.

Yes, she needs to show some balls for once!

---------- Post added 26-05-2018 at 22:13 ----------

[quote

=Annie Bynnol;11871099]Its the "...costly troublesome Northern Ireland …" that is keeping this Government in power to make decisions about Brexit.

It's not though is it?

It's a small number of politicians keeping this government in power, not the whole of the politicians in the six counties.

And if you asked the whole of the people in those six counties whether or not they wanted to prop up this weak government, I'm sure the majority would say no.

As for them (May etc.) making decisions about Brexit, I'd rather they didn't, if present performance is anything to go by...

---------- Post added 26-05-2018 at 22:35 ----------

This is what l don't understand. If the backstop idea is implimented then what's the problem. The Irish people on both sides have got what they wanted, an open border. Northern Ireland has, in a way, stayed in the EU via the customs union. The Price, a closed border with Great Britain, So what?

I keep hearing the word unacceptable. I think the word uncompromising is more suitable.

Should this solution be unacceptable and violence should erupt. Who exactly are the perpetrators going to target?

Geo, this is making me uncomfortable, but I find myself agreeing with you again!

All winners, but the problem is not 'unacceptable' but 'uncompromising'

Times have changed and this could work with hard work from all sides.

The people have tasted peace and I'm sure they would want to keep it.

Put the border in the sea where it belongs