Nasty crash on Penistone Rd 21/05/2018

Yea but it's one junction on one road, there's nothing particularly special about the drivers there.

You'd need a red-light camera on every junction to really make a difference, just change the light sequence and stop people trying it on.

It's a particularly bad junction for people running it because the side road has a relatively short time on green. So thus a good candidate for a camera, get those drivers off the road, avoid incidents like the one that occurred. The cost of the camera is more than worth it if it stops one or two incidents by removing bad drivers.

30MPH speed limit on a duel carriageway isnt stupid , its downright moronic.

so is the bus lane and cameras.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 14:56 ----------

Ive just been reading the comments on Sheffield Online (facebook) from the couple in the Passats family.

The man has been discharged but the woman will need at least one operation on her leg.

The guy in the Porsche went through a red light apparently, he has minor injuries.

regular blackspot this.

The bus lane is basically irrelevant, it's a new lane that was created, it serves little purpose, but motorists are no worse off since two lanes still exist.

The single camera (not cameras) is obviously just a tax on the stupid, it's highly visible and everyone just slows down for it.

How fast is this car going? I'm doing 28-30mph past the Wednesday ground. Wide angle camera.

Probably a Blade, holding his nose. :hihi:

The single camera (not cameras) is obviously just a tax on the stupid, it's highly visible and everyone just slows down for it.

Also it's been there for donkeys years so it shouldn't be catching local people out, everyone knows where it is.

Even people who've never driven that road before should notice both the visible camera and all the cars slowing down for it.

Yes, it's so bad that I kind of 'hang back' approaching that junction shortly after the lights have gone green. I'm always expecting one last car to come flying through on red down the hill. It definitely needs another couple of seconds of red between the the two sets of lights.

Its become the norm in Sheffield,i see it most days,i have buses go through red lights on the wicker quite often.I have started hanging back before setting off now,cars coming down corporation street to cross the ring road is another favourite spot as well.

Drove past the scene of this crash not long after. Porsche looked totally written off. Much have gone through that light at speed.

Is it clear which one ran the light yet?

It tends to be cars from the side road that do, but doesn't have to be.

I was one of the first people on the scene; I heard a massive bang so ran down to the junction to help before the emergency services arrived.

I spoke to both drivers and to a witness who was driving behind the VW Passat when it was side swiped, she mentioned that the lights were on green for several seconds before they pulled into the junction so it looks like the Porsche driver was at fault.

However the accident investigators can review the footage from the Passat’s journey recorder to determine what colour the lights were, the injured Passat driver told me it was fitted only two days previously and it caught everything.

The front of the Porsche was almost destroyed, the driver was very lucky to only receive minor injuries and I have no doubt his life was saved by the deployment of the airbag.

As usual the emergency services were fantastic when they got there and I hope all the parties involved make a full and speedy recovery.

Edited by Mantaspook
clarity.