Playing games that have xp/2000 windows operating system on windows 7

is it possible to do? i want a game i used to have but it has xp/2000 on system requirements, i don't want to buy it if it wont work. there is another i could get that should work on my windows 10 as it has windows 7 as it's highest OS but it isn't my prefered option

It may work?

try googling... But what game is it? It might help as one of us might have tried it ourselves.

It's medieval total war. Tried google but it wasn't much help other than windows 7 onwards should be compatible

Buy it. If its not working there's fixes online. Here's a link to a fix the game needs due to freezing on win10..

Installing and running using 'Compatibility mode' should get things moving for you. ;):D

Medieval Total War collection is on Steam atm for £6.99. Says Recomended Windows 7 or 8 but i find most games on steam run fine on Windows 10.

Yep, older games on Steam usually have been tweaked or tested. Age of Empires 2 is a good case in point - the original disc works ok on XP, needs tweaks for 7, and lots of tweaks to get it running on 10.

Hogs Of War on Steam doesn't work on 10, Good luck getting it working on 7 either!! :(

Hogs Of War on Steam doesn't work on 10, Good luck getting it working on 7 either!! :(

I could get it running on Windows 10... Easily. A quick search shows there is a windows 10 patch you need to download.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 12:17 ----------

Oh I just read the steam links from alchresearch showed you a French patch. It should work with that. I know you Ghozer and know you know computers so don't understand how you've not managed to get it running.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 12:19 ----------

You mentioned VM what did you use on the VM. Cos this will probably work https://digiex.net/threads/digiex-exclusive-premade-windows-98-virtual-machine-for-use-with-older-games.1022/

I could get it running on Windows 10... Easily. A quick search shows there is a windows 10 patch you need to download.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 12:17 ----------

Oh I just read the steam links from alchresearch showed you a French patch. It should work with that. I know you Ghozer and know you know computers so don't understand how you've not managed to get it running.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 12:19 ----------

You mentioned VM what did you use on the VM. Cos this will probably work https://digiex.net/threads/digiex-exclusive-premade-windows-98-virtual-machine-for-use-with-older-games.1022/

Tried the patch, the game just sits flicking between my desktop and the game, ALT+TAB doesn't do anything, I have to reset the PC.. have tried various options, versions, a few different patches, have tried my own methods..

Yes, I tried the above also, as well as my own set-ups of VMWare/VirtualBox etc... I did try the MS Virtual Machine stuff also...

after the above patch, the game seems to start, requires "DirectPlay" installs that, then just sits flicking between desktop and game, with no mouse response...

Furthest I got with it was to choose times, then start game and it just quits, leaving mouse clicks unresponsive

Edited by Ghozer