Channel 4 HQ - Sheffield

I wouldn't want it to go to the Greater Manchester area. They already have the BBC over there. Birmingham would be a good option.

That grotty bit of scrubland that Sheffield have offered up is just a joke.

It's the little production companies (and the companies that supply them) that have sprung up and thrived in Manchester would improve and expand if C4 moved there. You might get them spring up Birmingham but I suspect that market would be fought over by the London and Manchester companies, probably with the London ones winning.

Anything that drags money away from the capital is a good thing in my view.

Or maybe it's the lack of its hipsters that's the problem...

hipsters or berks in beards as I call them.

That grotty bit of scrubland that Sheffield have offered up is just a joke.

It's a joke that it isn't used it's a prime location for office space with only 300 people moving there's ample room there but I'm sure they could find space at St Paul's or in the new West Bar development that is probably up for Channel4 to decide themselves.

Channel4 are said to be looking at 3 new offices a HQ and two region centres. For me the three locations that make most sense are Glasgow, Manchester, and Birmingham, I'm rather hoping Sheffield can displace Manchester as a regional hub with a HQ in Birmingham and a regional hub in Glasgow.

If they choose Manchester or Leeds, Sheffield will get nothing.

I'd go for Manchester, Liverpool or Birmingham if I'm honest. In fact as an outside bet I'd say Belfast would be a better option than Sheffield.

Or maybe Syria..at least there would be more trees there.

Guest makapaka

Sheffield is perfectly capable of taking channel 4s headquarters and we would make a fantastic job of it.

Sheffield is perfectly capable of taking channel 4s headquarters and we would make a fantastic job of it.

I'm sure it is capable. Newark probably just as capable. But I'm not sure either would do a fantastic job compared with Manchester or birmingham.

I'm sure it is capable. Newark probably just as capable. But I'm not sure either would do a fantastic job compared with Manchester or birmingham.

having it in sheffield would be amazing the jobs created in the sector would be good

having it in sheffield would be amazing the jobs created in the sector would be good

Which can be said for every city interested in C4 moving there...

As much as I'd love to see Sheffield get it, I just can't.

I reckon Liverpool will be favourites for this, given the connections to Phil Redmond etc...

Me too. Liverpool has a very good film office and is the location right now for the new War of the Worlds drama, among others. I was on the beach watching filming yesterday:

https://www.formbybubble.com/single-post/2018/04/23/The-War-of-the-Worlds-has-been-shooting-in-Formby-woods-and-is-set-to-appear-on-BBC-One-this-Christmas

I'd like to think Sheffield was still in the running but I fear that Manchester will win out because of the much more amenities for CH4 "luvvies".

That piece of land outside Sheffield Rail Station was supposed to be its new home? It seems to have gypsies camped on it at the moment with some sort of fairground :-(

I'd like to think Sheffield was still in the running but I fear that Manchester will win out because of the much more amenities for CH4 "luvvies".

That piece of land outside Sheffield Rail Station was supposed to be its new home? It seems to have gypsies camped on it at the moment with some sort of fairground :-(

At a wild guess, the current landlord is renting the land to them for the duration of said fairground (a matter of days, couple of weeks tops), and then they will move on?

Guest makapaka

What do you think they would do differently?