Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?

Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?

• No way! Keep them separate
    • Yes merge - it's Sheffield's only chance
    • Who cares - it's only football!
    • It would be impossible to merge them

Sheffield is the 5th largest city in the UK and we don't have a premiership team :( . How would feel if the two clubs (Wednesday and United) decided to merge and form a 'super club'?

No way! Are you crazy?

Don't worry, we'll have a premiership team next season. :D

What would you call the team, Sheffield Thursday? :P

Originally posted by "WISH3096"

What would you call the team, Sheffield Thursday? :P

No Sheffield Sunday - cos that would be the League they'd be playing in! :P

Many fans of both clubs are against the idea and claim they would not support a merged club. However if the 'unlikely' merger was to ever happen I think many of them would change their minds. The potential for a very well supported club certainly exists, success would create a 'Super Club', but is certainly not guaranteed. Neither club has the potential to challenge the Premiership big boys in the forseeable future and that statement can be applied to at least 50% of the current Premiership clubs too. A merger would create a lot of interest and maybe create a decent Premiership team in the city, but I doubt it will happen.

It could work. I wouldn't want to see it happen, but a merger would certainly benefit the city.

Where would they play?

Hillsborough is bigger, but Bramall Lane is a lot closer to the city centre.

Merge Wednesday and the scum? Are you kidding? Only a pillock or some businessman with more brains than sense would think about it. A merged Sheffield team would only draw outsiders and those types who watch the Steelers and wander around Barkers Pool in their new Man Urinals shirts. :evil:

Guest Guest

Blue Owl, what exactly are you talking about? Let's start with speaking english please. What is a pillock, is that like the sheep you like to date? You have to get it through your head that one good soccer team is still better than two "wanna be's" halfs, even though you consider one half to be far better than the other.

We are talking monies and success here man, not your misguided pride and loyalty.

Oh, plus we would change the shirt colors too.... Any suggestions?

I.M.Joe King

Outsider?

Outsider, too damn right pal! As for "pillock" look it up in the dictionary matey, it might be a few up from "prick", or are you not from the 7 hills? By the way I see lots of sheep wandering up and down the Parkwayon a Saturday dodging traffic from the dual carriageway! Why you are on a Sheffield discussion board I can only guess but I picture you as some pretentious student holed up in a garret in Crooke, seething at the silver spoon which has seen you born and brought up in the leafy Home Counties.

Misguided loyalty? Well on a serious (and none mick taking note) nobody has yet explained to me who will watch this Sheffield merged team. The dedicated fans who watch their teams home and away have had their misguided loyalty tied by generations of support. Sheffield City in their blue and red stripes, who would go to watch them exactly? The great thing about Sheffield is tradition, and in the past the two teams have also struggled.

The point is that the teams have always come back to the big time due to the support, even when hideously mismanaged by chairmen like Dave Richards. If you knew anything about football you would realise that the game as a whole is going through a bad time but Wednesday and United will fight back. Heck, although it pains me to say it, United aren't doing too badly right now! For Wednesday the fight back will take some time.

Merged teams in Sheffiled? Ask the fans, we're the ones who pay at the gates, and without us there's nothing but a kick about.

Go and take your mergers into business studies sunshine

Guest Guest

Blue Owl, I am certainly not an Yorkie outsider. I was born and raised in Darnall, in an area that is now I believe to be totally industrial. But, looking at your patriotic and eloquent response I have to agree with your opinion. Maybe, it's really all about having heart, faith and years of firm dedication to a good cause. Yes, I agree that we cannot just ignore a teams decade of history and fan base and change it all just for more profit and bragging points.

But, I add with caution do we need two teams? Maybe one of them should just be absorbed by the other?

Blue Owl, you are a true Owl's fan. Thanks for the discussion and I wish you well.

Joe King :)

Joe King - any chance you're going to register soon? :D

Originally posted by "BlueOwl"

A merged Sheffield team would only draw outsiders and those types who watch the Steelers

I am a Wednesday fan, but more a Steelers Fan so do you care to explain what you mean by that. The Sheffield Steelers are the only successful sports team from Sheffield!! As well as the Tigers