Lineage on a Nexus 7 2012

So, I bought a cheap nexus 7 2012 (wifi only, asus model) from ebay for £40 to use for drone flying.

Famously, Lollipop killed the nexus 7 2012, and sure enough when I got it, even after a factor reset, it was comically slow, with 20-30 second lags switching apps, and 20 seconds to bring up the onscreen keyboard!

Rooted it, added TWRPs, and successfully flashed the right Lineage (formerly CyanogenMod) onto it. Now it runs buttery smooth.

WHen it came to installing the GAPPS (pico) package, so I can get Play Store and the google application licence platform installed, I'm getting "ERROR 70, insufficient space on the system partition."

The system partition seems to be 650MB which is too small even for the pico GAPPS pkg, as I have precisely 140MB free.

As I'm reluctant to start messing with repartitioning the whole system, anyone else come up against the same obstacle and solved it?

Not much help I'm afraid, but if you do get it working with Google Play store, could you let us know? I have a Nexus 7 sitting in a draw collecting dust, and would be good to breathe some life in to it..

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 running 7.1.2 fairly well. I've just had a quick look but can't see the ROM file/name. If I find it, I'll let you know. It will have come from XDA but that's of little help with popular tablets...probably 100's on there.

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 running 7.1.2 fairly well. I've just had a quick look but can't see the ROM file/name. If I find it, I'll let you know. It will have come from XDA but that's of little help with popular tablets...probably 100's on there.

Ooh ooh, yes please. Can you just have a quick look at your system and tell me how large the partition is, and how much space you have left, as well?

---------- Post added 01-09-2018 at 00:39 ----------

Not much help I'm afraid, but if you do get it working with Google Play store, could you let us know? I have a Nexus 7 sitting in a draw collecting dust, and would be good to breathe some life in to it..

It's a solid tablet, crippled by google. Would make a good media streamer for the living room, media control etc. use it to plex cast or whatever.

---------- Post added 01-09-2018 at 00:42 ----------

Also, will a different rom leave more room in the system partition?

I'm pretty new to all this, and haven't looked beyond vanilla stuff like lineage - but I want the tablet to run a graphic launcher (nova) 3 apps licenced through google play and access gps & wifi - that's literally it. I don't need contacts, calendar, camera, gallery, media player or any of that guff.

All advice (other than "get a different tablet") gratefully received.

1.32GB left on System after installing the Google Apps

I can't find or remember which ROM I used but I always use XDA and I always tend to go for near stock pre root ROMs.

When I install, I always wipe the previous via TWRP wiping system and dalvic etc (usually run it twice) But DON'T select SD/External storage.

Depending on the ROM you may have to install SU before first boot and possibly wipe the Dalvic cache again.(follow the builder instructions)

It might just be a case of reflashing your ROM but wipe it properly first.