Sheffield star online

I have been taking the Star for fifty odd years .

Over the last couple of years the paper has deteriorated to such an extent that it is no longer worth the 70 pence per day price tag.

Today"s headlines featuring a local M.P.who must be short of causes to champion, and is follow up from yesterdays main feature on litter around the City.

So its repeat news following repeat news almost every day.

My question is ,is it possible to read the Star on line so as I can still do the crossword and read the hatched and dispatched pages along with the back page sport as these are the three things that I would miss if I stopped buying the paper.

I changed years ago to the Daily Express. It has two crosswords and is only 55p.

As clearly you have the internet I am surprised you have not searched for their website. Here it is http://www.thestar.co.uk

Whether it is exactly the same as the paper I don't know as I don't buy. I get all my news online, I don't buy any papers. Don't usually watch the news either as its only full of stuff that I have already read about or seen online.

There is a tablet app for the Star which is a direct replica of the printed edition.

The website is very basic and the app is almost unusable because of the amount of ads it has on it.

I have liked their Facebook page and set it to 'see first' so i see everything they post i see on the top of my Facebook timeline.

Id also recommend liking the 'Sheffield Online' Facebook page.

I stopped buying the Star earlier this year after 50 odd years or more. I read it online but not all content is available and it is often like the TV - repeat after repeat content! Several repeats of the same news. You can view hatch and dispatch though the letters page Your Say is often is not up to date. Very hit and miss. The app is not that good. A bit easier to read news and sport perhaps - I am a fan of hard copy really but do not miss the Star at all as it was far too expensive for such poor reporting. Not Local area news as it once was. Rather biased in parts. If anything I miss all the Saturday Retro with Vin Malone's bits too.

Do journalists work from home nowadays waiting for news to come to them and then they chase for updates online?

I stopped buying the Star earlier this year after 50 odd years or more. I read it online but not all content is available and it is often like the TV - repeat after repeat content! Several repeats of the same news. You can view hatch and dispatch though the letters page Your Say is often is not up to date. Very hit and miss. The app is not that good. A bit easier to read news and sport perhaps - I am a fan of hard copy really but do not miss the Star at all as it was far too expensive for such poor reporting. Not Local area news as it once was. Rather biased in parts. If anything I miss all the Saturday Retro with Vin Malone's bits too.

Do journalists work from home nowadays waiting for news to come to them and then they chase for updates online?

Thanks for your reply.

Many of the Star features seem to be re hatch of ones in other local rags.

P.S. do you pay for the on line version or not.

A lot of stories come from the general public.

Journalism has been become easier and cheaper as everyone has a smart phone now.

Most media outlets have a way for people to upload videos and photos......but they dont offer money anymore. Which is a bit cheeky. :suspect:

Google street view has also made it easier to get pictures of roads of where incidents have taken place instead of sending a photo journalists.

So its now alot easier to write news reports without even leaving the desk. Some would say its a bit lazy but times have changed.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

I don't pay for the online at all - whether you get better coverage or not if you do pay I do not know but going on how the Star was so poor I doubt it will be any better. Shame as it was a good local paper with good journalists.

Not sure which app people are using if they are getting adverts. Mine is an exact copy of the printed edition (similar to a PDF file) so yes there are adverts just like there are in the normal paper, but no pop-ups or banner ads or anything extra.

I changed years ago to the Daily Express. It has two crosswords and is only 55p.

Try the "Daily Wail" I find it much better then the "Daily Depress"