[SOLD] Horseriding lessons in Sheffield

hi all,

pretty much in the same boat, have a 12 yr old daughter going mad about riding horses in the sheffield area.........

looking for group lessons mainly as i need to find out weather or not she will enjoy it.

have lokked around at some places and the prices were out of this world lol,

can anyone please advise before it get murdered lmao

mike

Mike, try Smallage equestrian centre, Ann is an excellent teacher, they do hacking out at weekends for £12 pound an hour. also they do private lessons for £18 per half hour and a group lesson for £15 per hour usually mon/tues/ wed.my daughter is 6 and she has lessons there, and she's coming on really well. I wouldn't take her anywhere else. the number is 01142693300 ask for Ann or Emma. hope this is of some help...

My experience of riding schools in Sheffield:

Snowdon Farm at Troway is excellent. You get very rigorous and intense lessons. They're friendly enough but their serious approach might put you off; it shouldn't though because they are definitely the best I have ever been too (I'm not a very good rider by the way).

Unless they've changed in the last few years, they will not allow you to hack unless you have proved you're capable of doing so in the school first - which might sound draconian but it makes sense really.

Smallage Farm on the other hand will plonk you on a pony and hope for the best. Some people like these stables because there is no pressure on you at all, but I've been on some hacks there that have descended into pure chaos. Also expect to have loads of kids on the ride with you. Cheap but I now avoid the place.

You obviously not been in long time both me and my daughter go and it is safe and they cater for all abitities

I'd recommend Michael and Laura at Westwood Equestrian Centre to anyone wanting lessons. The standard of lessons is fantastic, they only charge £26 for an hour PRIVATE lesson, all the horses are lovely and safe - most of them are cobby types but they have some lovely ponies too. And yes, they are BHS registered. I've been riding with them for years and bought my pony Heathcliffe from them 3 years ago, he is fantastic, I couldn't possibly be happier with them.

I couldn't agree more. Partner and I have been having lessons here and they are totally fantastic. Both Michael and his mother make you completely welcome, they are so down to earth and friendly - they just make you relax completely with the surroundings. I've ridden before but my partner hasn't and I must stress how excellent I found them,Michael made my partner feel comfprtable and confident almost immediately. Having ridden before at different places I know how different places can be, the people, the horses, the places itself - and this one by far is the best I've been to. I'm so happy with this place that I would go nowhere else for lessons now.

They do great pony days for kids too, I know a few people have kids that do these in the holidays and just love them.

Hello

I have never had any lessons before but am now wanting to learn to ride. The two which seemt o be the most recommended (and reasonable) are westwood and Cowley (near Dronfield) As a complete beginner and wanting 1-1 lessons, any thought on which one I should go with?

Hello

I have never had any lessons before but am now wanting to learn to ride. The two which seemt o be the most recommended (and reasonable) are westwood and Cowley (near Dronfield) As a complete beginner and wanting 1-1 lessons, any thought on which one I should go with?

As a complete beginner definately Westwood. As has been said previously, they only do 1-1 lessons and their horses are as close to bomb proof as its possible to come. You also don't get the technique of the instructor standing in the middle of the school and yelling instructions at you (which I always found to be very off putting). I've ridden at Cowley (and most other riding schools in Sheffield at one time or another) and find Westwood to be by far the best - they sold me my horse who I adore too so they'll do absolutely anything for their students!

** Just to add, their insurance also covers children from the age of 4 upwards (I'm 95% sure they do anyway) - my little girl will be going there for lessons as soon as she's old enough.

Edited by Nik Nak

Thanks for this Nik Nak, I will give westwood a ring and try to book in. I was thinking of having a lesson every other week to start with. Hopefully they dont have a wait list as some places do!

Has anybody got a website address for Westwood please

look to pay £12- £18 an hour

can u plz tell me where it is:)

Has anybody got a website address for Westwood please

They've not got one yet. Last time I spoke to Michael and his mum they were in the process of organising one but as far as I know it isn't up and running yet. I have a contact number if you want, I could PM it to you.