New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

There are some proposed dates here https://www.heartofcity2.com/masterplan/

can't see it on the website but the brochure I've just been sent says consultation dates, 11th September at the Art House, Backfields, and 12th September in the winter gardens

can't see it on the website but the brochure I've just been sent says consultation dates, 11th September at the Art House, Backfields, and 12th September in the winter gardens

What are they consulting on?

Hi guys,

I am just wondering what effect you think the New Retail Quarter will have on Sheffield's economy? Do we have enough potential to compete with cities such as Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham? Will the increased supply meet demand?

I'm really interested in your views/forecasts.

Cheers

It will increase spending in the city centre and therefore should have a positive effect on the local economy. People will visit from outside Sheffield, perhaps, out of curiosity when it first opens. A bit like I've been to Leeds to see two of their new shopping centres open over the past couple of years.

But...

It will no doubt contain the same chain stores as Meadowhall and other anonymous retail outlets throughout the land. It won't have any "top end" stores like Selfridges, Harvey Nicholls, because local folks would turn their nose up at such places and they'd go bust in no time.

So in answer to your question, it will have a favourable effect on the local economy but nowhere near the impact to compete with other sizeable cities you mention.

just seen this http://www.scci.org.uk/2018/09/sheffields-new-york-times-square-opens-with-new-era-launch/?utm_source=Sheffield+Chamber+Contact+Database&utm_campaign=759f4f4526-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_09_19_09_23_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b3dba0d578-759f4f4526-295684945

---------- Post added 19-09-2018 at 11:57 ----------

The smart thing for sheffield to do would be a good retail destination like Liverpool One, and then add an interesting independent quarter nearby. Then people can come for the weekend and enjoy a variety ofshops, together with the leisure and outdoor space that other big cities like Leeds are missing, but that Sheffield does have.

Chapel Walk could be made really interesting as a covered arcade for independents, just needs the rents to be sensible, and properly thought out so there is a good mix of stuff.

i thought it was a missed opportunity not making something of the Leadmill Bus Garage - its been empty since it was converted and wouldve made a great quirky independent market, maybe also something on the site next to the Midland Station?

failing that, it would be good if the old Courts Building near Commercial Street could be saved and developed along those lines - linking in with the resto work taking place on the old Castle Market? Breaks my heart that we keep getting approval for ugly high rise student flats when we have so few old buildings being utilised.

Sheffield’s ‘New York Time’s Square!’ Opens with New Era Launch

Dubbed ‘Sheffield’s own version of New York’s Time’s Square’, New Era Square’s Phase One launch gave investors, local businesses and organisations an exclusive look at the first half of the large-scale project currently being delivered by New Era Development LTD.

Is someone at the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce paid per apostrophe?

Sheffield’s ‘New York Time’s Square!’ Opens with New Era Launch

Is someone at the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce paid per apostrophe?

Maybe there is a public square somewhere dedicated to the New York Times?:confused:

edit- actually the apostrophe would still be wrong hehe...

it would be good if the old Courts Building near Commercial Street could be saved and developed along those lines - linking in with the resto work taking place on the old Castle Market?

The building is listed and so is the courtroom interior, which rules out many uses.

The building is listed and so is the courtroom interior, which rules out many uses.

I realise that, it's just sad that the present owners cant or wont do anything to protect and restore the building so that it could be used in some way. Appreciate that's going to be a major stumbling block, just a shame we havent yet found a solution.

I realise that, it's just sad that the present owners cant or wont do anything to protect and restore the building so that it could be used in some way. Appreciate that's going to be a major stumbling block, just a shame we havent yet found a solution.

You might speculate that the owners interests could be best served by letting the building deteriorate to the point it has to be demolished or completely gutted.

I can't think of many other uses for a courtroom. Can you?

You might speculate that the owners interests could be best served by letting the building deteriorate to the point it has to be demolished or completely gutted.

I can't think of many other uses for a courtroom. Can you?

Cant the Council serve a maintenance order on the owner of a listed building?

This is a real challenge for building owners - not just the court room but the old Loch Fyne building on Glossop Road has the same challenges because it is listed. Even the Holiday Inn at Victoria Quays has struggled to retrofit compliant access/lifts/aircon etc due to its listed nature. Retro fitting these types of buildings is about 5-10 more expensive than a new build installation.