Best route to Manchester airport via motorway

I live in S8 and make this journey a few times a year at night. Always go the Southern route : Straight over Froggatt and then the A623 through Stoney Middleton, Sparrowpit. Then A6 Chapel en le Frith. takes about 1hr 30 at the most and is never busy at night. Quite a nice route.

Have tried the Pot Shrigley route and it is much quicker but not the best route in the dark, especially if you've never taken that route before!!

I live in S8 and make this journey a few times a year at night. Always go the Southern route : Straight over Froggatt and then the A623 through Stoney Middleton, Sparrowpit. Then A6 Chapel en le Frith. takes about 1hr 30 at the most and is never busy at night. Quite a nice route.

Have tried the Pot Shrigley route and it is much quicker but not the best route in the dark, especially if you've never taken that route before!!

This is the route I wondered about on my sat nav. If it's a nice drive I think I'll take this route. Thank you.

Sorry for opening an old thread, but I'm in need of some help. I'm picking a relative up from Manchester airport and will be travelling at night. Woodhead will be closed as stated online and I really want to avoid going down the snake at night. I've looked on maps on my phone and there is an alternate route, I haven't got a clue what it is, but the top route is woodhead the next one down I'm guessing is snake, and there's one underneath. does anyone know this route and what it's like at night? I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a better way? Thanks

I've already told you what it is!

Please read my post again - Castleton, Chapel, Whaley Bridge, etc.

At night it will take you less than an hour to get there from the centre of Sheffield.

---------- Post added 16-09-2018 at 23:01 ----------

Yes well I can understand that. It's not well signposted.

As a tip, if you have sat nav, I'd suggest driving through the middle of Chapel En le Frith town centre then setting it to "Stanneylands Hotel" Wilmslow. That will ensure you go straight past Stanneylands Hotel, on your left, rather than get diverted off on the A34. After passing Stanneylands Hotel it's a straight road till you get to the junction at Styal - where you turn right - and then turn left a mile up the road at the petrol station - and you're there!

I've already told you what it is!

Please read my post again - Castleton, Chapel, Whaley Bridge, etc.

At night it will take you less than an hour to get there from the centre of Sheffield.

---------- Post added 16-09-2018 at 23:01 ----------

Yes well I can understand that. It's not well signposted.

As a tip, if you have sat nav, I'd suggest driving through the middle of Chapel En le Frith town centre then setting it to "Stanneylands Hotel" Wilmslow. That will ensure you go straight past Stanneylands Hotel, on your left, rather than get diverted off on the A34. After passing Stanneylands Hotel it's a straight road till you get to the junction at Styal - where you turn right - and then turn left a mile up the road at the petrol station - and you're there!

Definitely the best route, but you'll be driving pretty quick to make it in under an hour. I would normally expect to take 1hr 10mins from Ecclesall.

DerbyTup

The new junction where the A555 from Hazel Grove joins Ringway Road now avoids the ‘petrol station’ turn altogether (although the new complete link road isn’t yet open).

Definitely the best route, but you'll be driving pretty quick to make it in under an hour. I would normally expect to take 1hr 10mins from Ecclesall.

Yes fair enough - slight exaggeration there on my part.

I've done it in just under an hour, but that's not from the city centre, and it's been early hours of the morning.

An hour and 10 or an hour and 15 from Ecclesall is more like it.

---------- Post added 17-09-2018 at 09:03 ----------

DerbyTup

The new junction where the A555 from Hazel Grove joins Ringway Road now avoids the ‘petrol station’ turn altogether (although the new complete link road isn’t yet open).

Ah right. Thanks for that tip. I'll check it out.

Yes fair enough - slight exaggeration there on my part.

I've done it in just under an hour, but that's not from the city centre, and it's been early hours of the morning.

An hour and 10 or an hour and 15 from Ecclesall is more like it.

---------- Post added 17-09-2018 at 09:03 ----------

Ah right. Thanks for that tip. I'll check it out.

The new link road is now supposed to be open in October - they have some community event on 7th where local residents can explore it before it opens to traffic.

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/a6-to-manchester-airport-relief-road-set-to-open#5b97990793187

Assuming it work as planned , I would imagine the new "shortest" way to the airport will be Castleton , Chapel , A6 to Hazel Grove and the new link road all the rest of the way.

However I imagine Winnats Pass will get well and truly stuffed !!

So I may stick to Calver , Stoney , A623 to Chapel etc

Assuming it work as planned , I would imagine the new "shortest" way to the airport will be Castleton , Chapel , A6 to Hazel Grove and the new link road all the rest of the way.

The ‘acid test’ may well be whether it’s worth driving the distance from the northern end of the Chapel bypass to the start of the link road. That chunk of the A6 is a real pain !

The ‘acid test’ may well be whether it’s worth driving the distance from the northern end of the Chapel bypass to the start of the link road. That chunk of the A6 is a real pain !

I'd probably still go Pott Shrigley and then join the MARR at Woodford. It'll be easier once they complete the Poynton Relief road, which given they've completed the compulsory purchase of the land, I would think would be built before improvements to other routes (ie the Mottram bypass - for which exploratory work has begun; or the A6-M60 link - for which there is no funding allocated and quite a lot of opposition).

Don’t forget the new car drop off charges!!! About £4 for 5 mins!!! Go by train

Not the shortest but I tend to go M1-M62

Over the years I think I've covered most routes to Manchester but now it's music on, M1 and M62 etc.

Not a scenic as the other routes though.