Damflask, Pike fishing

Just want some info really if anyone knows

I want to take my youngest son plug fishing for jack pike at the Flask this afternoon/evening, as I think it will suit him & hold his interest more than the usual pole & pellet we usually fish when he comes with me on commercial waters

I know there's an official pike season at the flask, 1st October, but does that prohibit me from chucking a few casual lures in at this time of year?

---------- Post added 15-07-2017 at 15:51 ----------

just an update, in case anyone else wants to know...

there is no official pike season, but other rules are in place

12lb line minimum

36" landing net

unhooking mat

no live baiting

8" forceps

wire traces a necessity

I don't have a 36" net so that's me told

so, this evening instead of plugging for jacks, me & the lad will be boshing out big feeders 60yards+ just for the fun of it

if we don't catch, at least we'll have had a go & there's a certain amount of fun in casting to the horizon

I've fished lures at Dam Flask a few times with little success. I've hooked more pike there when reeling in roach and skimmers which is frustrating when there's a livebait ban.

yeah, that's what prompted the thought, I was up there the week before last fishing the feeder & hooked somewhere in the region of 30 fish (skimmers & roach) but only managed to get a dozen of them in the net, the pike had the rest...

Just want some info really if anyone knows

I want to take my youngest son plug fishing for jack pike at the Flask this afternoon/evening, as I think it will suit him & hold his interest more than the usual pole & pellet we usually fish when he comes with me on commercial waters

I know there's an official pike season at the flask, 1st October, but does that prohibit me from chucking a few casual lures in at this time of year?

---------- Post added 15-07-2017 at 15:51 ----------

just an update, in case anyone else wants to know...

there is no official pike season, but other rules are in place

12lb line minimum

36" landing net

unhooking mat

no live baiting

8" forceps

wire traces a necessity

I don't have a 36" net so that's me told

so, this evening instead of plugging for jacks, me & the lad will be boshing out big feeders 60yards+ just for the fun of it

if we don't catch, at least we'll have had a go & there's a certain amount of fun in casting to the horizon

If you want jack pike you don't go to the flask pal.

Take him on the canal plenty of jacks round Bacon Lane

Wes1 - there were at least 6 jack pike in my swim last time I was there with the feeder gear (practising for the Pennine Champs), I am well aware there are much bigger fish than jacks in the flask, I grew up fishing the place

all I wanted was to take him to a water close to home that I knew I could spend a couple of hours catching smaller fish, I was simply asking for clarity on the rules

Audilad - thanks, that's another option, but the seclusion at the flask is the big draw

Ok mate no problem

sounds like great fishing lads and that's great the canal is full of fish,not like the old days full of rubbish and a horrid colour

The canal is hardly full of fish mate the Eastern Europeans have seen to that they've been netting it and leaving set lines out for years, BBQ img them on the bank.

Hi

I'm going pike fishing in the dam flask in a couple of weeks ,and was wondering if anyone had fished it recently and if so what's the best places.

Last time I fished it was about 25 years ago.

last time I fished it (not for pike, mind you) I was down the plantation area & I lost count of the number of pike grabbing roach & bream I'd hooked on the feeder

there were at least 2 out at 50 yards, another one closer range at say 20 yards, and two or three marauding around the shallows off the end of my keepnet

one of those in the shallows even grabbed my empty feeder on the retrieve at one stage... that was over a month ago though & they do have fins...

also, I don't think they were necessarily all attracted by the commotion of casting a big feeder & hooking silverfish, as one was already kicking about under my rod tip before I'd even set up, so maybe that one was expecting me to catch...