Transport Interchange and Tourist Information Centre

I have been meaning to post something on this subject for a while, and something which I have done recently has reminded me.

Can anyone explain why the Interchange seems to only serve as a layover/bus garage when High Street/Church Street is totally gridlocked (especially at peak times)? I appreciate that because of the nature of Sheffields' bus network, most services have to pass through these streets, but to have the city centre timing points in this area is crazy -neither road is adequate/suitable!

The situation is totally crazy - we have almost single track roads trying to cope with moving traffic trying to pass standing buses, and an INTERCHANGE which is a ghost town!

I'm sure someone will come up with the usual moan that Pond Street is 'too far away', and to an extent I agree, but why are more buses not routed that way, at least for their city centre timing point?

The impression I get is that the PTE, which owns the bus station are either incompetent or have some deep-seated hatred of Sheffield. Rotherham and Doncaster interchanges are both fully utilised, and most other towns and cities I have visited have functioning facilities.

The reason for my interest is that I am likely to be using various coach companies over the spring/summer for trips, and whereas up to a couple of years ago you used to be able to board the coach at the Sheaf Street end of the Interchange, and therefore have cover if the weather wasn't ideal, you now have to block the pavement outside the Penny Black - crazy.

From a conversation I had with a certain operator, it appears the PTE are demanding excessive fees to allow use of the interchange, which means no-one uses it, therefore denying themselves (PTE) of any revenue.

On a related note, the Tourist Information Centre near the Winter Gardens is closing/has closed? with no intention of relocating it - surely it could have been moved to one of the many empty units at Pond Street? For a city the size of Sheffield to have no Information Centre is crazy, considering that smaller places - Bakewell, for just one example seem to be able to operate such a facility.

All buses entering Sheffield Interchange have to pay , High Street is free .

Guest busdriver1

SYPTE make a charge for any bus picking up in the bus station. (setting down is free). It used to be claimed by them that this money was used to pay for printed timetables, but since printed timetables are no longer available the charge still applies.

Regarding other bus stations and interchanges, they are used because it is convenient to do so. To use Sheffield bus station would require a time consuming and costly diversion and all to pick up very few people so it does not happen.

The charge barely registers as it is not very high really.

@ alexander874 and busdriver1 - thanks for the answers, but neither of you really answered as to why the interchange is not used by coach companies, or by those First/Stagecoach services that use Flat Street.

As to the 'costly diversion' - what about the fuel/frustration cost on High Street/Church Street?

In short, sorry guys, but that was a waste of your time, neither of you told me anything I don't already know.

Apart from the 218 Bakewell bus, (TM Travel), there's not a single bus that serves the south side of Sheffield, Abbeydale; Nether Edge; Dore; Totley; Woodseats; Batemoor & Jordanthorpe, which uses the Interchange.

At one time a couple of buses, 24 & 36 ran down the Abbeydale corridor into the old Pond St station.

It would be handy if a few buses did run into the Interchange, if nothing else, it would make it easier to get to Midland Station.

They charge a significant amount for coach companies to use think it's something g like £50 for pick up.and drop off which is straight off the co.oanies bottom line so they won't do it

Barron99 and haddy - thanks again, but you're telling me what I already know.

For anyone else thinking of replying, can I point out that transport, in various forms, has been my interest for many years, and I'm aware of what happens in the industry.

What I was hoping for was an informative answer as to why an expensive piece of city centre-ish land was being so badly managed/utilised.

Barron99 and haddy - thanks again, but you're telling me what I already know.

For anyone else thinking of replying, can I point out that transport, in various forms, has been my interest for many years, and I'm aware of what happens in the industry.

What I was hoping for was an informative answer as to why an expensive piece of city centre-ish land was being so badly managed/utilised.

Because of the fee to use it. It's as simple as that.

Because of the fee to use it. It's as simple as that.

I realise that, Emma - I would just like to know what, if anything, the PTE was prepared to do about it. As it stands, they may as well close everything apart from one platform and sell the rest off.

There are proposals to redevelope the area around the Interchange by Kevin McCabe's Scarborough Holdings, (SUFC Chairman).

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/blades-owner-reveals-200m-plans-for-new-sheffield-shopping-centre-by-bus-station-1-8238377

Maybe the Interchange will be used more in the future?

Yup - 'maybe' and 'in the future', but what about NOW!?

Yup - 'maybe' and 'in the future', but what about NOW!?

Unless they reduce the fees nothing will change. And as said, its location probably doesnt really help.