Has the Premiership got boring?

Not so long ago when the top teams met you knew there was a good chance you were in for a good match but this rarely seems to happen now.

More and more I find I struggle to watch games without getting bored.

Teams like Man U get a 1-0 lead and hold onto it or when playing top teams play for the draw.

At the other end teams seem content to play negative football and often "park the bus" resulting in boring games.

Last year Chelsea had won it weeks if not months before the end and its starting to look like a few months in Man City are going to do the same this year.

Its more or less the same 4 or 5 teams at the top all the time.

I think money is a big part of it the amounts involved are so vast now that winning takes priority over everything else and often results in poor games to watch.

I also find the endless questioning of every refereeing decision tedious and not adding to the game.

It does not surprise me viewing figures are down.

Parking the bus is the single biggest problem with football - period.

FIFA need a rule change to stop this happening.

Hockey had a similar rule change - one or two players must be in the opposing half at all times.

This is a no brainer for football.

With two players minimum having to be in the opposing half at all times - the likes of Burnley and Stoke would simply not be able to play their negative defensive game.

I now only watch football when both sides try to attack.

The recent Arsenal v Spurs match I enjoyed as both sides were intent on attack.

Try watching a typical Spanish league game or German league game, its like watching paint dry.

The real issue with the Premier League is the foreignness (is that a word?) of it.

With majority of managers, owners and first team players being foreign, how can it be called an English league??

You've only got to look at the pitiful England squads over the past 15 years to see what effect it has had.

Parking the bus is the single biggest problem with football - period.

FIFA need a rule change to stop this happening.

Hockey had a similar rule change - one or two players must be in the opposing half at all times.

This is a no brainer for football.

With two players minimum having to be in the opposing half at all times - the likes of Burnley and Stoke would simply not be able to play their negative defensive game.

I now only watch football when both sides try to attack.

The recent Arsenal v Spurs match I enjoyed as both sides were intent on attack.

That actually sounds like a really good idea.

all football is boring but the premier lot excel in it.

The problem is it is now a business rather than a sport and the Premier League is where the money is. Teams set up not to get beaten rather than attack from the start. You only have to look at the formations now being played, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-4. 5-4-1. in every case the emphasis is on the back line, not like when i first went to a game and the norm was 2-3-5. the nearest we see to it is 3-4-3 . Thats my view and i just don,t see anything changing.

Exactly and I read somewhere that teams that go 1-0 up go on to win something like 85% of the time so as a business once you get that first goal you are best to kill the game and shut up shop and deploy standard time wasting techniques,all horrible to watch.

Perhaps I was wrong with the hockey rule change that I believed said one or two players have to be in the opposing teams half,I'm not sure?

It was my friend that mentioned that to me a few years ago.

I know hockey has a no offside rule designed for similar reasons - to stop the players defending deep etc.

Another rule in football that to me is a huge blight on the game,and stops the flow of the game especially,is when a free kick is awarded around 30-40 yards out,the ref stops the game and the team with the ball are not allowed to play on till a minute or so later!

This is nuts and it penalises the team with the ball as well as making the game much more stereotyped to watch - meaning high free kicks tend to be launched in to the box.

Two players having to be in the opposing teams half at all times is the key to stopping or making it extremely difficult for teams to play defensively.

Even were a team attempt to still park the bus - the game would still be a lot more open as the defending team would only have nine players as opposed to eleven, leaving a lot more space for the attacking team.

Edited by MAC33

The real issue with the Premier League is the foreignness (is that a word?) of it.

With majority of managers, owners and first team players being foreign, how can it be called an English league??

Too much money involved for them to want to change it though, for some reason it's the best league in the world???

Money doesn't seem to buy results though, for all the money spent English clubs are still often beaten by European rivals.

Perhaps I was wrong with the hockey rule change that I believed said one or two players have to be in the opposing teams half,I'm not sure?

I know hockey has a no offside rule designed for similar reasons - to stop the players defending deep etc.

Another rule in football that to me is a huge blight on the game,and stops the flow of the game especially,is when a free kick is awarded around 30-40 yards out,the ref stops the game and the team with the ball are not allowed to play on till a minute or so later!

This is nuts and it penalises the team with the ball as well as making the game much more stereotyped to watch - meaning high free kicks tend to be launched in to the box.

Two players having to be in the opposing teams half at all times is the key to stopping or making it extremely difficult for teams to play defensively.

Even were a team attempt to still park the bus - the game would still be a lot more open as the defending team would only have nine players as opposed to eleven, leaving a lot more space for the attacking team.

Oh that would be great, your team getting over run by the opposition while two of you players stand on the centre line with their arms folded. Even if a ball was cleared out to them they would be automatically offside,so defenders could go and join the attack knowing that the two guys have to stay offside by law LOL

---------- Post added 05-12-2017 at 00:38 ----------

There is offside in hockey, if the skater crosses the blue line ahead of the puck, he is offside and play is stopped by the lineman.There is also what is known as an offside pass, but that is more complex and my eyes are tired.:)

According to Wikipedia there is no offside in field hockey...

There is currently no offside rule in field hockey. There were prior offside rules, rules that restricted the positioning of players from the attacking team in a way similar to the offside rule in association football. The evolution of the field hockey offside rule culminated with its abolition in the mid-1990s.

As far as the two players being offside as they are in the opposing half - you would add a imaginary line say 20 yards or so from the halfway line where there can be no offside. It's been tried before.

Another possibility is to do away with the offside altogether,just like hockey!