H&M racist advert

Considering the death of football legend and pioneer Cyrille Regis and all that he and his fellow black footballers had to endure in the 70s and 80s:

If I had a spare banana on my desk at work, would I be able to offer it round to everyone, or do I need to think first?

If I offer it to a black colleague, am I being racist? If I decide not to for fear of being labeled racist... am I racist and discriminating?

its a personal choice, it depends on each person, but if a black person chooses to wear a shirt with a monkey on the front, then that is up to him, but i very much doubt there would be many black people who choose to do this, most black people i know wouldnt choose to wear one,

If it's a personal choice then why the outrage?

And, again, which associations with the word monkey are to be considered offensive?

I just find it offensive, even though i am not black i find it offensive, there has been a long history of black people being refereed to as a monkey, so to have a young black boy modeling that hoodie was not a very smart idea

So would it have been better if they'd discriminated and hired a white model?

Or perhaps you think that clothes shouldn't ever have slogans with the word monkey in them?

There used to be a Miss Black Ontario beauty pageant a few years ago and there have been a few movies with only blacks cast in them purposely, Carmen Jones a musical comes to mind, but there are others. Were the producers of these events/movies racist for deliberately, with much fanfare, excluding white people for the sake of excluding them. I know there were many older movies like Westerns where you rarely saw a black actor, but they were not omitted on purpose.

Affirmative action to make a point, arguably discriminatory, but for good reason most would say.

Guest makapaka
So would it have been better if they'd discriminated and hired a white model?

Or perhaps you think that clothes shouldn't ever have slogans with the word monkey in them?

Exactly. You would have to ban the phrase cheeky monkey.

Fundamentally it wasn’t racist. Look at the definition of racism - it doesn’t apply.

I actually think peoples reaction to this is really sad - it shows people still associate that word with black people - it would have been great if no one had reason to bat an eyelid.

There used to be a Miss Black Ontario beauty pageant a few years ago and there have been a few movies with only blacks cast in them purposely, Carmen Jones a musical comes to mind, but there are others. Were the producers of these events/movies racist for deliberately, with much fanfare, excluding white people for the sake of excluding them. I know there were many older movies like Westerns where you rarely saw a black actor, but they were not omitted on purpose.

Slavery. White people are omitted because of slavery, apparently.

Regardless of the fact slavery was mostly committed by none whites and mostly ended by whites but thats just not fashionable to say.

As an aside, In the US for example, half the homicides are committed by blacks and blacks make up only 12% of the population.

Why is that?

Probably slavery.

Guest makapaka
Slavery. White people are omitted because of slavery, apparently.

Regardless of the fact slavery was mostly committed by none whites and mostly ended by whites but thats just not fashionable to say.

As an aside, In the US for example, half the homicides are committed by blacks and blacks make up only 12% of the population.

Why is that?

Probably slavery.

No there’s a huge amount of complex reasons for that - if you google the subject youll find its not due to slavery.

If someone suggested that people commit homocide because they’re black that would be totally stupid and racist and about as far removed from a kid wearing a jumper in a H&M advert as you can get.

No there’s a huge amount of complex reasons for that - if you google the subject youll find its not due to slavery.

If someone suggested that people commit homocide because they’re black that would be totally stupid and racist and about as far removed from a kid wearing a jumper in a H&M advert as you can get.

So tell me why less that 12% of the population commit 50% of the murders?

If its not slavery then what is it?

So tell me why less that 12% of the population commit 50% of the murders?

If its not slavery then what is it?

how did slavery get into this?

how did slavery get into this?

Ive no idea. How does slavery get into many subjects.

Ive no idea. How does slavery get into many subjects.

but you said it?