Steel city cakes, abbeydale road

Another vote for them here. If you go mad and have their afternoon tea make sure you have a HUGE appetite. The cakes are extremely well made and a fair number are either gluten or nut free or both which is a rare thing to find

hardworking people who own it with a real passion and homely :) even though the cafe can be a little 'industrial' its literally some chairs and tables in a room next to main room it is amazingly scrumptious , I have never had so much choice and satisfaction in a coffee shop ! Delicious

Went to Steel City Cakes this weekend to find that all their cakes are now vegan ! Had a taster plate which was really good value at 6 quid for 6 small slices of your own choice. Also had a vegan hot chocolate with vegan marshmallows, cream and cookies for 3 quid ! café was spotless and service was really efficient. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !

You might want to check out the food hygiene ratings before making a visit:-

http://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/revealed-the-sheffield-food-outlets-with-the-worst-hygiene-ratings-1-8300899

I've only visited once (last year) and I was pretty shocked by the state of it - a lot of dirt, particularly around and under the serving counter, display wedding cakes that looked like Miss Haversham's, an overflowing bin in the very grubby toilet. The food hygiene ratings were last updated on 3rd January, 2017 - so this is a current and on-going issue.

Hmm, there were no wedding cakes on display and it was absolutely immaculate !...are we talking about the same place?? Can't imagine it getting a 0 !!? It was spotless ! Sounds like bad press to me. Either way, not gonna pass up that much vegan yumminess lol.

It is the same place as I know the owner quite well.

I don't think it's down to her hygiene of the place, but the area the shop is in. Residents don't take care of it in my opinion.

The EHO Hygiene rating isn't down to the area its in, its how they keep records of their cleaning area/schedule/temp checks/stock rotation/food prep/Allergen knowledge/orders etc. The EHO are really quite good and happy to work with you, not really against you unless theres a very good reason ie the records were not available to be shown at the time or on a follow up visit...

The hygiene rating due to the area it is in! I've heard it all now, top class deflection :D

AMAZING VEGAN PLACE !!

Couldn't believe it when they told me everything was vegan ! Had Black Forest Gateux and oat milk Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. AMAZING !

Seen some really unfair reviews about previous hygiene rating - they've had a 5 star rating for a really long time !?? Shop was immaculate anyway !

New favourite place in Sheffield, highly recommended.