Bunkers around South Yorkshire

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find some Bunkers in South Yorkshire abandoned but still exists ? thanks in adcancer

Thanks in wha??

Beuachief club has one next to it.

It’s getting more overgrown around it now and I haven’t bothered to have a look for a few years. But for a king time the hatch was open and you could climb down the ladder. A foot of water on the floor then but many artefacts were still in the bunker - table, beds etc...

Beuachief club has one next to it.

It’s getting more overgrown around it now and I haven’t bothered to have a look for a few years. But for a king time the hatch was open and you could climb down the ladder. A foot of water on the floor then but many artefacts were still in the bunker - table, beds etc...

I have a video of that the ladder down and the inside we went down a few years ago. We respected it and didnt touch anything. Unfortunately I went down there towards the end of last year and I think kids have found it because there is a bunch of rubble/ rubbish filling it up . Such a shame really. He water level was lower when we where there about 4/6 inch and someone's scratched into the door "help me" lol

thank you guys for your replys and supports much love and appreciated

There is a underground Hospital on Thorncliffe in Chapeltown built for the tank factory which was bulldozed over in the 1980’s to stop vandals getting in, I went in there when I worked on Thorncliffe in the 1970’s, at the end of the B6028 Ecclesfield road, known as Woolly Wood bottom just before the terrace houses on your left there is a mound with retaining walls believed to be something to do with 1950’s civil defence for the gas works, in Barnsley as you go down Sheffield road towards the Alhambra centre turn left on the A6133 in that area at the back of the Silkstone Pub there was a fallout shelter you use to be able to seen the entrance and radio masts is was for Barnsley council filled in and long gone now it’s a housing estate, above Upwell street in Grimesthorpe Sheffield on the high banking there are still the concrete mounts for the Ack Ack guns that covered Tinsley and Meadow Hall during the war, on the Hunshelf area of Chapeltown if you dig through the under growth there are the mountings for the guns that covered that part of the valley leading to Tinsley.

I've been down the one listed as Rossington many years ago for work, with its then owner. He was a lovely, if somewhat eccentric chap.

Back then it was still in a good condition and you could have imagined what a desperate situation we'd have been in globally if it was being used for it's intended monitoring purposes.

Such a shame to see from pictures in the above links what a state it's in now.

The large bunker in York which is now owned and managed by English Heritage is a fantastic example of the type of regional command centre that would have run all those tiny Royal Observer Corps out posts should the big red buttons ever been pressed.

Can thoroughly recommend a visit to the big one in York if modern history is your thing, it was a fascinating trip. But also absolutely frightening to think about how little would have been left of the world outside those bunkers if the cold war had of eruppted into nuclear strikes.

Makes you genuinely hope Trump and North Korea never actually kick off.

There would have been no bunker left either. Once nuclear weapons became much more powerful, h-bombs based on fusion rather than fission of plutonium, then the bunkers would have to be so deep as to be impractical, very expensive to build and maintain, and inescapable after the earth movements following a strike. They were essentially abandoned as an idea. All according to a book I read a while ago about cold war bunkers, at any rate.

When Heeley retail park was being constructed there were air raid shelters found from the old marshalling yard's.

There would have been no bunker left either. Once nuclear weapons became much more powerful, h-bombs based on fusion rather than fission of plutonium, then the bunkers would have to be so deep as to be impractical, very expensive to build and maintain, and inescapable after the earth movements following a strike. They were essentially abandoned as an idea. All according to a book I read a while ago about cold war bunkers, at any rate.

Very true. I think the huge "Guardian" one in Manchester was obsolete even before completion.