New plaster cracks

We've had some rooms re-skimmed and the builder wanted them dried quickly for decorating so left heating on full blast 24x7 for several days. I can now see a crack - presumably dried a bit too quickly - and despite reassurances they'd sort it I'm wary of proceeding with decorating and then find more cracks appearing in the next few weeks after the builder's long gone.

Should I insist we wait to see, and if so for how long before I can be sure it's ok and safe to decorate?

I have had 15 years in the plastering trade and plaster should dry naturally and not be forced as the outcome is exactly what your saying has happened.

If the plaster has gone the salmon colour and there is no wet patches it is dry but i would never adivise what has happened.

Edited by Starlc

Yes I agree that would have been the right thing to do - but give we are where we are I was looking for the best way to go forward. If we do get more cracks is there a recommended repair technique?

Yes I agree that would have been the right thing to do - but give we are where we are I was looking for the best way to go forward. If we do get more cracks is there a recommended repair technique?

Depending on how many cracks their is you could use a fine surface filler on the other option depending on how bad it is would be to cross line the walls. I've never use it but the other option would be Polycell Hairline and Crack Polyfilla, that's a brush on liquid filler.

Unibond and fill with white poly fillier let dry then pray :roll:

Unibond and fill with white poly fillier let dry then pray :roll:

I wouldn't recommend using unibond on new plaster prior to painting the walls.

I like the sound of the brush on liquid filler My sort of product!

I'm already praying. Thanks all.

I wouldn't recommend using unibond on new plaster prior to painting the walls.

Uni bond crack not ceiling ...Might be wrong but thaught you decorators used diluted unibond to size walls :hihi:

Uni bond crack not ceiling ...Might be wrong but thaught you decorators used diluted unibond to size walls :hihi:

The only time decorators size newly plastered walls with paste is prior to wallpapering, as for painting walls, no decorator would recommend unibonding the walls.

Edited by mmitchell

I agree with Mmitchell, never unibond new plastered walls prior to painting, as it seals the surface, thus not allowing the first coat to penetrate the plasters surface and become a solid base.