Anyone remember the parade in Darnall?

Was it may day or whit sunday?- remember the man who used

to get dressed up in drag-? think he might have been called Ernest- just googled it think it was Darnall medical aid parade

to get dressed up in drag-? think he might have been called Ernest- just googled it think it was Darnall medical aid parade

yes that was ernest, he used to clip dogs and i once saw him whack three blokes for taking the mick out of him for bieng gay,mind you the hairdo gave it away...:hihi:

yes that was ernest, he used to clip dogs and i once saw him whack three blokes for taking the mick out of him for bieng gay,mind you the hairdo gave it away...:hihi:

:D Just put parade in Darnall in Google and his name actually

come up- said he was a cancer nurse. Don't think there was a person

around my age and older who didn't know of him:)

Hi Pink Girl

It was as you say the Darnall Medical Aid Parade. It carried on I think, at least into the seventies, possibly beyond. Ernest died a few years back. He was much loved in the area. He's buried in Darnall cemetery, with a headstone that says 'Queen of Darnall', which I'm sure he would approve of.

Hi Pink Girl

It was as you say the Darnall Medical Aid Parade. It carried on I think, at least into the seventies, possibly beyond. Ernest died a few years back. He was much loved in the area. He's buried in Darnall cemetery, with a headstone that says 'Queen of Darnall', which I'm sure he would approve of.

I am sure he would approve- i remember as a small girl being in awe of him

I used to live on Fisher Lane,where they dressed up the lorries.My brother and I used to hang out of our bedroom window watching all the prearations.

Ernest Morley apparently worked down the pit before going into nursing.

The parade was on Whit Monday. Ernest had a side-kick who was also gay - don't remember his name. I was on the tram going to Handsworth when Ernest jumped on in Darnall, bumping his head in the process. " you'd better put some butter on that " said the conductor. " What do you think I am, a bleeding teacake? " replied Ernest. He was always good for a laugh and always upbeat - the Star of the parade.

I was in the parade from 1968 to the 1980s. My Grandparents were one of the founders of the Darnall and District Medical Aid Society. The Society raised money for Yorkshire Cancer Research. As well as the parade they also had an annual pantomime. This was first at Handsworth Parish Church Hall, then moved to Hurfield School. My whole family were part of this for too many years to remember.

:) Hi, yes my Grandad knew Ernest,they'd worked together at some point, we used to follow the parade and Ernest and Lol Fenton raised loads of money for cancer research, We also used to go to the pantomimes at St. Marys Handsworth, and I remember Cilla Black officially opening the Darnall Medical Hall on Fisher lane I think 1971/2:thumbsup:

I was in the parade from 1968 to the 1980s. My Grandparents were one of the founders of the Darnall and District Medical Aid Society. The Society raised money for Yorkshire Cancer Research. As well as the parade they also had an annual pantomime. This was first at Handsworth Parish Church Hall, then moved to Hurfield School. My whole family were part of this for too many years to remember.

My sister was one of the Darnall Medical Aid Queens. I remember something to do with the Sheffield Wdnesday players. She also held a charity night at that night club at the bottom of London Road (cant remember the name of it). I will have to ask her what year it was

I remember the Darnall medical Parade. I can't remember the drag queen but I can remember the Duke of Darnall. It was a lovely day out and there was so much work put into the floats.

Tatty Dumps:love: :love:

:) Hi, yes my Grandad knew Ernest,they'd worked together at some point, we used to follow the parade and Ernest and Lol Fenton raised loads of money for cancer research, We also used to go to the pantomimes at St. Marys Handsworth, and I remember Cilla Black officially opening the Darnall Medical Hall on Fisher lane I think 1971/2:thumbsup:

I wonder if Lol Fenton was the other female impersonator that I used to see now and again with Ernest. In the years that I saw the parade they raised money for the Medical Aid Society (not much money from the government). My Mum was the District nurse from about 1945 well into the 50's so, as kids, we were unpaid helpers every year until I left home.