District heating question

Does anyone have district heating that can tell me why I have a meter connected to it just for heating and hot water seems strange as I can't top it up and we pay £4 a week on rent for it anyway I'm a new tennant never had it before electric company have no idea what it is its not gas as were all electric had to put it on emergency today phoning housing up in morning just curious what it is

A couple of years ago, Sheffield city council added these meters to properties that were on district heating system. Previously heating and hot water was included in the rent. But they changed this to the £4 a week rent and then a separate charge for the amount of heating and hot water actually used. They collect the reading remotely

The council should have told you about this when you signed tenancy etc.

They should have also given you a choice of how to pay for it. You can either have a set direct debit or a top up payment, similar to a pre pay meter.

A relative of mine had this system , but opted for the DD payment as it was easier and more convenient for them.

There is a number for the department that deals with this heating system and its payments. I'll try and find it for you

A couple of years ago, Sheffield city council added these meters to properties that were on district heating system. Previously heating and hot water was included in the rent. But they changed this to the £4 a week rent and then a separate charge for the amount of heating and hot water actually used. They collect the reading remotely

The council should have told you about this when you signed tenancy etc.

They should have also given you a choice of how to pay for it. You can either have a set direct debit or a top up payment, similar to a pre pay meter.

A relative of mine had this system , but opted for the DD payment as it was easier and more convenient for them.

There is a number for the department that deals with this heating system and its payments. I'll try and find it for you

I had a brand new house around 1977/78 on the then-new Langsett estate and we had heating included in the rent. I heard that the whole estate was heated from incinerating garbage, I doubt that is the case today though with emissions controls etc.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Not been able to find the number to contact the department that deals with district heating meters.

Could you ask one of your neighbours? I know that the number is on the back of the bills that they send out for the heating.

Not been able to find the number to contact the department that deals with district heating meters.

Could you ask one of your neighbours? I know that the number is on the back of the bills that they send out for the heating.

Thanks for your help been in touch with housing they sending a card out to top up wasn't told anything about it when I got keys they just said £4 Was in rent for heating and hot water typical housing no idea what they doing

A couple of years ago, Sheffield city council added these meters to properties that were on district heating system. Previously heating and hot water was included in the rent. But they changed this to the £4 a week rent and then a separate charge for the amount of heating and hot water actually used.

Seems pretty excessive for a standing charge when compared to other meter standing charges. My electric standing charge is £1.75 PW and gas is £1.89 PW.