Sign in to follow this  

Lycra Louts

As a cyclist and a keen one i wear the gear to match my top of the range bike, glasses, lycra top and shorts and all the other panafranalia that goes with it.

Apart from looking good i ts also essential for comfortable riding.

Some may say we look like dorks or take the sport to seriously.

I of course think different.

So someone said to me you look a plonker wearing sun glasses on a grey day.

I put them right and say it stops the wind from making your eyes water and if you hit a wasp at 25 miles per hour in your eye it hurts big style, and sun glasses are nothing to do with the weather.

Go on, what do you think when you see us fit guys out there pedaling for dear life.

No offence taken of course.

Oh and yes i nearly forgot, i also shave my legs as most racing cyclists do, and not for the reason some would give because 'If i came off the hairs can cause infection'. No, i do it for vanity.8)

Guest costessey

Got to agree...used to have the gear when i cycled......just a wooly hat when temps dropped below -5c

never bothered with lights though...too much weight

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

Oh and yes i nearly forgot, i also shave my legs as most racing cyclists do, and not for the reason some would give because 'If i came off the hairs can cause infection'. No, i do it for vanity.8)

Whilst I also wear all the cycling gear when I go out on a ride, I have never shaved my legs. I was wondering, at what point do you actually stop shaving? Do you stop at shorts level or go all the way up and perhaps trim the old speedo line whilst you're at it?;):)

Also, isn't it true that hair grows back thicker, faster and quicker if you shave? Are you not worried that you may end up with the "minatour look" when you eventually stop shaving?

Guest costessey

yeah...must add, shaving's out for me too!!

We, and I say we because 9 out of 10 cyclists i know shave there legs.

I shave mine just below the sock line up to the just above the end of the shorts.

I never will stop shaving my legs as long as i,m cycling and my plan is to cycle till i drop so hopefully that will be many many years.

I shave them about every 3 weeks so its not a regular thing but if you ask a cyclist why he shaves his legs he may come out with 'well if i cut myself falling off the hairs can cause infection' well its all about vanity as your leg muscles look better and more supple especially when tanned.

Another cyclists trick is to put on baby oil as that makes your legs look even better.

You need good legs though to start with so any Tom will look a Dick if he aint got the legs.

Ask a body builder if he shaves his chest, the answer will be 'yes' because it also makes his physique look better.

If the Village People ever reform, it sounds as if one should dress up as a cyclist!