No Armistice display in Sheffield again?

i think you will find any right minded person would consider the aims the same:roll:

The aims are quite different. The White Poppy is distributed by the peace Pledge Union, which is an organization promoting peace. It isn't a charity and has its roots as a pacifist organisation, which opposed a military solution in WW2. That of course is their right and the right of any person to wear their symbol.

The red poppy is quite diffent in its history and support for servicemen and particularly the death and suffering they endured, partly to give us the rights today to wear either.

I personally feel uncomfortable about the mayor choosing to do that. It's his right, but isn't he also supposed to be a symbol of the people of the city?

i personally feel very comfortable that the mayor chooses to remember that civilians* are also killed/injured/displaced/traumatised during war.

(*on both sides**)

(**and combatants on both sides)

civilians were killed in sheffield during ww2, are they not worth remembering alongside those who served?

Edited by ads36

i personally feel very comfortable that the mayor chooses to remember that civilians* are also killed/injured/displaced/traumatised during war.

(*on both sides**)

(**and combatants on both sides)

civilians were killed in sheffield during ww2, are they not worth remembering alongside those who served?

Of course they are. Nearly as many civilians died in ww1 as military. I just feel choosing to only wear the white poppy during an event commorating 100 years from the end of the conflict and the losses suffered by those who fought for our freedom, is insensitive for someone in that office. If someone in the street decides to do that, or do nothing, that is their free choice. I don't agree with it, but I particularly disagree with a figurehead doing it.

Why the hell should he?

Either you can't read, or you're being deliberately obtuse.

why the hell shouldnt he?? because he is only here because those brave soldiers gave their lives to protect democracy and which allowed this country to help the unfortunates of war? if memory serves he fled with his family here from a war torn country? so he is directly benefiting from the forces ?

either you have a blind eye to the truth or you are being a troll?

Of course they are.

white poppy.

100 years from the end of the conflict and the losses suffered by those who fought for our freedom

WW1 was not a fight for our freedom. it was largely pointless joyful slaughter.

those brave soldiers gave their lives to protect democracy

many of them couldn't vote, if any freedom was won, it was won for the survivors, in a battle against their own country.

Edited by ads36

white poppy.

many of them couldn't vote, if any freedom was won, it was won for the survivors, in a battle against their own country.

what are you on about:loopy: you would be one of those presented with 3 white feathers if ever there was another war i reckon:roll: joyful slaughter ha!

white poppy.

I agree wih the point about WW1, the conflict of largest loss regarding our immediate freedom was WW2. PPU, the white poppy organisation was against our involvement in it at that time, and against any conflict. I understand their ideals, but think the mayor wearing one and refusing a red one, at a service isn't appropriate.

How Blair had the gall to turn up wearing one in London is beyond me. Another thread though.

did you see the mayor of Sheffield refuse a red poppy that a guy tried to give him? he asked him to wear the red and the white?? he refused that is not respectful.

how many of the council leaders were there?

I thought you were in Manchester - how do you know what happened and why do you care so much ?

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 16:49 ----------

what are you on about:loopy: you would be one of those presented with 3 white feathers if ever there was another war i reckon:roll: joyful slaughter ha!

3 white feathers ?

Now I know you haven't the slightest idea about anything you have been tediously banging on about.

Shame on you.

Best for you to stay the wrong side of the Pennines and keep your ridiculous suppositions where the sun don't shine.

Good day.

Edited by Daven

if ever there was another war

there have been lots of wars since ww1 (or 2, wherever you choose to place your reference).

(almost?) none of them to defend our freedom.

Edited by ads36

so how was the Armistice display by sheffield council? sheffields mayor? and Councillors, how many attended if any? was there a military display and parade? to barkers pool.

just interested as i was in manchester and saw a wonderful turn out of dignitaries and armed forces along with a fantastic parade with field gun salute right outside our hotel the Midland.

I really am trying to resist in stating the obvious here:rolleyes:

Edited by Daven