King edwards VII school.

Hi athy. Not a scout myself, but I remember Chris Beck who was indeed a bit of a character. There was also a lad called Sidery in school but I can’t remember which year

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 12:52 ----------

On the subject of Eli Vout. We nicknamed him Halfanarr after he went into a rage after someone answered only 2 questions in a Scripture exam.

He kept looking at the pupils paper and kept repeating half an hour ! Is this all you could manage in half an hour ! ? whilst getting more and more red faced.

Funny the little things that stay with you?

Incidentally, was Scripture a mandatory subject for first and second years?

Hi athy. Not a scout myself, but I remember Chris Beck who was indeed a bit of a character. There was also a lad called Sidery in school but I can’t remember which year

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 12:52 ----------

Incidentally, was Scripture a mandatory subject for first and second years?

Oh Christ, yes.

... There was also a lad called Sidery in school but I can’t remember which year...
I also remember the name; it would be David Sidery in the year above us. He is third from the right on the back row of this photo.

I also remember the name; it would be David Sidery in the year above us. He is third from the right on the back row of this photo.

Yes, that was him, I think he may have been a Patrol Leader in B Troop. Thinking back, so insular was our world that we knew very few of the boys in years other than our own: the scouts was one of the places where one met them.

I was a pupil at the school from 1971 to 77 and witnessed the flour bomb incident. Seeing Mr Sharrock and Mr Jackson covered in flour was a sight to behold! Jackson continued his speech after wiping the flour from the lenses of his glasses and the head of Maths at the time Ma Batty, ran out of the assembly hall in a fit of giggles. I also refer back to previous comments about Charlie Baker. I met him at an Old Edwardians dinner I attended a few years ago with Paul Warren, an ex head boy.  He remembered us both and was very charming. I loved King Teds and have some very strong memories of the old place x

8 hours ago, Jayemdee said:

I was a pupil at the school from 1971 to 77 and witnessed the flour bomb incident. Seeing Mr Sharrock and Mr Jackson covered in flour was a sight to behold! Jackson continued his speech after wiping the flour from the lenses of his glasses and the head of Maths at the time Ma Batty, ran out of the assembly hall in a fit of giggles. I also refer back to previous comments about Charlie Baker. I met him at an Old Edwardians dinner I attended a few years ago with Paul Warren, an ex head boy.  He remembered us both and was very charming. I loved King Teds and have some very strong memories of the old place x

Jayemdee: we must have overlapped because I remember all that (apart from Ma Batty giggling).  I was in the same form as Paul Warren, being one desk away in the alphabet and there from 1968-1975 (the last 11+ intake and so the youngest year in the school for a few years).  Did you start off at Crosspool and then transfer to Glossop Road?

On 01/02/2019 at 07:36, TWhits said:

Jayemdee: we must have overlapped because I remember all that (apart from Ma Batty giggling).  I was in the same form as Paul Warren, being one desk away in the alphabet and there from 1968-1975 (the last 11+ intake and so the youngest year in the school for a few years).  Did you start off at Crosspool and then transfer to Glossop Road?

I think I knew you TWhits from 1(4) in 1968/69. Were you in front of David Webster and behind Graham Wilkinson. If so we used to chat sometimes but never really spoke after  1(4). I always remember this pupil told me he lived on Industry Street. On the other hand I could be wrong but I was there 68 to 75.

On 25/03/2019 at 10:31, LogicTrader said:

I think I knew you TWhits from 1(4) in 1968/69. Were you in front of David Webster and behind Graham Wilkinson. If so we used to chat sometimes but never really spoke after  1(4). I always remember this pupil told me he lived on Industry Street. On the other hand I could be wrong but I was there 68 to 75.

That sounds like me.  RIght form, right year, I can clearly picture David Webster but not Graham Wilkinson, and you have the right address.  We must have diverged after that first year.  What is your name then as I am pretty sure few of us were "logic"al back then 🙂

20 hours ago, LogicTrader said:

I'm on this photo back row , second from right. I think you're front row on the right. Only 51 years ago!!!

http://oldedwardians.org.uk/rs/photos/1968.1(4).html

Yes, I do remember you.  Pretty sure we went into different forms for subsequent years.  Did you notice who provided the original photo and the first stab at names and then who added the remaining names?  Such a shame in some ways that the only form photo was in that first year and yet it was second to fifth years where we stuck together for longest.

I do now recall Graham Wilkinson and all the rest.  Amazing that you remembered that one conversation with me.  Are you still in touch with any of the others?

Guest makapaka

Any more recent memories of the king teds?

i was there mid 90’s when it was a split site with the first 3 years at crosspool before heading to the old place.