Remember Birley School?

Your memory is remarkable. Can you tell me who you are? I taught from 64 to 67 and you give a memorable write up. But I do not recollect KAKES. My e mail is tracklay at aol.com. I was recently contacted by Roland Holloway.

Birley Secondary School Reunion 68/69 leavers.

It was with great pleasure in mid February this year, to surprisingly come across Lynne Stacey (Lynnielass) at her place of enjoyment. After getting our breath back from the excitement of not having seen each other for almost 47 years, we spoke.

During our chat, Lynn mentioned how nice it would be to have a meet-up with other pupils from our year and the year above. I thought it was a good idea, but Lynn always did have good ideas.

It would be great to see people again after all these years to reminisce (or even to even scores. Lol.). Please post on here.

Unfortunately, Mick Payne, David Stephenson and Steve Kaye are no longer with us. I can think of three other names of pupils who may have passed away, but I haven’t got confirmation of this. ‘Twould be quite eerie if I mentioned the names only for them to turn up at a re-union. Theat would be embarrassingly weird, afterall, I am only typing this, it’s not as if I am a ghost writer.

If anybody would like to come along but has to travel a fair old distance I can possibly put them up for the night (female preferred Lol.). You can have mi pit, mi sofa or sleeping bag on’t carpet. I live near town centre.

Suggested meeting places:-

Birley golf course – Birley Lane – for buses and tram

Red Lion – Charles Street – Handy for bus, tram, railway and my pad.

Sheaf Island – Ecclesall Rd. bottom – Handy for bus and my pad.

Henry’s Bar – Cambridge Str. – ditto Red Lion.

Any other suggestions of venue?

This is perhaps the last chance to see each other. I know John Wastnidge, David Siddall, Paul Overhand, Ralph Smalley, Garry (Sam) Ashton, Martin Hatfield (Cornwall), Owen Sharp and Stephen Wiggett are still knocking about. Mick Fukes too. We all have so much to tell about what we have done (or not done) since leaving skoil.

Dress code: School uniform or civilian clothing is optional, your choice. Lol.

Please note: I started a thread on Sheffield Forum in October 2009.

‘Remember Birley School in the 60’s? Chunk Davies, Harry Lines, Dickerson.’

See you at the re-union

Zakes. Thanx for the chat Lynn. XX.

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 00:50 ----------

*Lynn Stacey (to come across)

*place of employment

I used to be at chunkys Office at the start of school to get the cane he said I would be down at some point in the day for it so he like to get it over with in the morning. Also they put extra detention days on because I got that many. But I haven’t turned out to bad.

Edited by Grabman
Word missed

Without knowing your name it is very difficult to get the full impact of your memory.

Do you ever see or speak to pupils from the 64-67 era?

Without knowing your name it is very difficult to get the full impact of your memory.

Do you ever see or speak to pupils from the 64-67 era?

Hi ray43

My name is pat green and I was there from 59-63 so a bit before your time. There is a few I remember Ian Bellamy Mick brown lived on our road. Also fenwick. But I haven’t seen them for years I now live at gleadless been here 50 years. But still got fond memories of Hackenthorpe.

Thank you for identifying yourself. Yes , I arrived wet behind the ears in September 1964 fresh from College!

Peter Fenwack was a good footballer , it would be nice to have a few minutes with him again. If you have any information about address it would helpful.

Sorry we never met.

Hi ray I have been told Pete is a regular in the birley hotel.

If that helps you. Regards. Grabman.

Dream Number 1.

In his pit, Zakes was lying on his right-side in the ‘feetal position’,… he still had his socks on. He slept soundly… he was snoring. The sound of the snoring prevented the bedroom from having a cathedral hush. Lying neath his thick – ply blankets, Zakes felt like a bug in a snug rug.

It was a pleasant dream, a dreamy dream. It could have been a Mamas & Papas, California Dreamin’ dream, or maybe a Dream a little dream of me, type dream. Then again, it could have been a dream about Graduation Day, as Zakes was Tossing and Turning in bed. Zakes, aged 13, wouldn’t have minded which Ivy League University he’d like to go to, they were all the same to him. Yale, Pennslyvania, Princeton, Harvard, Dartmouth College, Cornell, Columbia or Brown. Zakes’ sweet dream was more suited to a … Lovin’ Spoonful type dream. Girls, girls at school… Birley County School.

In his dream, Zakes, though asleep, was trying with difficulty, to choose a girl to co-star in his dream. She had to be at least passable, because he didn’t want his dream to turn into a nightmare.

Dreamy Zakes had to go through the names and the faces of his list of mucky maid candidatesses.

There were:

Lynn M Stacey

Anne Hayes

Julie Hirst

Lesley Whiteley

Lynne Womack

Diane Shaw

Susan Rowbotham

Sandra Wallis

Pat Dodworth

Rosie Staniland

Susan Cocker

Adele Stephenson

June Priest

Mary Ollerenshaw

Margaret Winkley

Lynne Craig

Susan Beaumont

Margaret Glossop

Pat Otter

Vicky Cuneo

Lynda Birch

Sharon Dawtry

Kathryn Ibbotson.

After much deliberation, and before his dream might come to an end, Zakes chose this time:

Kathryn Ibbotson, because she had a generous mouth, and a tighter than tight tailpiece.

The new day broke, as did the dream, precisely 69 minutes later. It was almost time for school.

Hey anyone still read this especially gempau i was in ur class , think i know you ? Hows it going this reply is a few years late lol

Great memories of BIRLEY SECONDARY SCHOOL.I recall many of the names who represented the football teams between 1962 to 1965.

N.E.Derbyshire schools league champions 1962/63 (P 14 W 12 D 2 L 0 )

Stewart Morgan,Martin Wilkes,John Heald,Brian Bellamy,David Farmery,

David Ashforth,Trevor Eaton,Steve Secker,Roland Hollaway,Pete Fenwick,

Roger Hazeldine.

1964/65

Stewart Morgan,Chris Bower,Stuart Robinson,Ian Maile,Brian Bellamy,

Chris Jackson,Gary Wood,Steve Steve Secker,Steve Smith,Pete Fenwick,

Alan Dawson,David Renolds.

1965/66

Stewart Morgan,David Ashforth,Pete Watson,Brian Bellamy.Peter Stacey,

Steve Secker,Geoff Lupton,Pete Fenwick,

all these names will be recalled by RAY 43 who will have written them down

on many team sheets. GREAT DAYS!!

(SORRY TO THOSE I MAY HAVE MISSED)

---------- Post added 12-11-2018 at 20:48 ----------

Great memories of BIRLEY SECONDARY SCHOOL.I recall many of the names who represented the football teams between 1962 to 1965.

N.E.Derbyshire schools league champions 1962/63 (P 14 W 12 D 2 L 0 )

Stewart Morgan,Martin Wilkes,John Heald,Brian Bellamy,David Farmery,

David Ashforth,Trevor Eaton,Steve Secker,Roland Hollaway,Pete Fenwick,

Roger Hazeldine.

1964/65

Stewart Morgan,Chris Bower,Stuart Robinson,Ian Maile,Brian Bellamy,

Chris Jackson,Gary Wood,Steve Steve Secker,Steve Smith,Pete Fenwick,

Alan Dawson,David Renolds.

1965/66

Stewart Morgan,David Ashforth,Pete Watson,Brian Bellamy.Peter Stacey,

Steve Secker,Geoff Lupton,Pete Fenwick,

all these names will be recalled by RAY 43 who will have written them down

on many team sheets. GREAT DAYS!!

(SORRY TO THOSE I MAY HAVE MISSED)

Left in 1961 can anyone from 4K get in touch? 

Edited by Ian W