"The Doker Guys" in Heeley

Hi. Nice to know at least a few of us old farts joined the computer age!

I lived in Carter Place, (the Little Hill they always called it) just off Nicholson Rd.

In that area, you went to infants school at Anns Road and then on to Heeley Bank.

The docker (as we called) it was our playground, hidden dens, caves, source of white clay for touch burners. I think the Kent Hill side was hit by bombs during the war based on the piles of bricks and lathing.

The Hurst family lived on Carfield Rd which backed on to the docker, There was a jam factory (became Mansion Polish later) on the Heeley Green side, and Geoff Hurst, Peter Chapman, Kieth Mitchell were in the area, I think.

Nice to know somebody remembers it! Which reminds me, it shows up a lot in my dreams!

Touch Burners

That's a term from the past.

Ex Forster Rd lad

People subscribing to this thread might find the Heeley Past and Present page on Facebook interesting.

Thanks for your reply, however I don't have access to social media of any sort,I suppose being a dinasaur with technology it's a little frightening. I have an interest in the forum as my family was mentioned in a tread over 10 years ago and I am basically proud to have an association with Heeley and Meersbrook from 1951 to 1983 . I know 10 years sounds a long way away but it's still fascinating to a dinosaur.

I have read many of the old posts all with a similar theme Ann Rd school and Newfield Boys,the thing about looking backwards I supposes is, an old mans past life,but in the case of Old Heeley that's gone for good.

Thanks again Billy

Hi. Nice to know at least a few of us old farts joined the computer age!

I lived in Carter Place, (the Little Hill they always called it) just off Nicholson Rd.

In that area, you went to infants school at Anns Road and then on to Heeley Bank.

The docker (as we called) it was our playground, hidden dens, caves, source of white clay for touch burners. I think the Kent Hill side was hit by bombs during the war based on the piles of bricks and lathing.

The Hurst family lived on Carfield Rd which backed on to the docker, There was a jam factory (became Mansion Polish later) on the Heeley Green side, and Geoff Hurst, Peter Chapman, Kieth Mitchell were in the area, I think.

Nice to know somebody remembers it! Which reminds me, it shows up a lot in my dreams!

That reminds me also, didn't we have a big Bonfire in Carter place or there abouts to celebrate VE (Victory in Europe) night ? or was it VJ (victory in Japan night at the end of WW2 ???.

That reminds me also, didn't we have a big Bonfire in Carter place or there abouts to celebrate VE (Victory in Europe) night ? or was it VJ (victory in Japan night at the end of WW2 ???.

We did that!

The big organized street party was down on Tillotson Rd, but at night we lit the big fire at the intersection of Nicholson Place and Carter Place. The big burn stain lasted for years. We baked potatoes on the fire.

Must have been VE day because I remember we burned old Hitler, not that other foreigner! :)

We did that!

The big organized street party was down on Tillotson Rd, but at night we lit the big fire at the intersection of Nicholson Place and Carter Place. The big burn stain lasted for years. We baked potatoes on the fire.

Must have been VE day because I remember we burned old Hitler, not that other foreigner! :)

Yes your correct. Thanks for the information. That was a big fire and a a great party, with things to eat that had been rationed.

---------- Post added 04-02-2018 at 16:26 ----------

I played on the Doker as a young boy in the 1940's.

There used to be an old man that lived on the Doker, in an old wooden hut.

Is there anyone old enough, out there to also remember him ?. He used to scare us kids.I can remember that his hut was removed, but just can't remember what year it was.

Hey, this may interest you.

https://ibb.co/easbFU

https://ibb.co/mWZOvU

Cheers, Fourbytwo

Hey, this may interest you.

https://ibb.co/easbFU

https://ibb.co/mWZOvU

Cheers, Fourbytwo

Thanks!

The bottom picture is Carter Place, and I can see our house halfway up on the left.

But that's not how it was prior to TV.

Picture Shirecliffe's fish stand at the bottom, Stan Porter's coal lorry halfway up, delivering, Mr. Drew window cleaning, and everybody outside gossiping and donkey stoning the steps and sweeping off the causie. Kids and people everywhere.

Wish there was a picture of how it really was!

Edited by trastrick

Hi Peter,

As on old Heeley lad, I also spent many happy hours on the Docker.

I'm surprised that none of the names you mentioned, including yours, rings a bell with me except Keith Williams, who I seem to remember, had lost his Mum.

Some names you may remember from Kent Rd are bothers Tony & Alan Baldwin, Billy Butlin, the Johnsons, Geraldine, Gerald & Geoffrey, and Pat & Billy Dale who lived opposite the chip shop and from Cambridge Rd, Barry Robinson and Alan Humphries (Alan had a younger brother whos name escapes me at the moment).

You may also know Brian Wilson and his younger brother, Neil (a boy boxer) who lived at the top of Tillotson Rd.

My name's Tony and I lived on Gleadless Rd opposite the 4 shops just below The Wagon and I went to Annes Rd school.

What a fantastic and lively place Heeley was in the old days. It's heartbreaking to see how it's changed now.

I've been going down every few weeks for some years and used to enjoy a pint in The Wagon until it shut down and it always fills me with nostalgia to be there again.

Hi, I also cannot remember any off the names you have listed. Old age is terrible. Yes, Kieth Williams mom died, and he was brought up by his dad.:loopy:

HI Peter Tottle, my name Is Michael Mills, we lived at 89 Kent road, two doors to your left, I have a brother named David , a sister named Victoria ( Vicky) , I new all the people that you were enquiring about, you probably won't remember us as you I think was about 4-5 years older than me, I think , I will be 80 years in August, at that time I was a little in awe of you, hope you get this.   Regards.