Wadsley village

I noticed the name of Terry Dooley whilst browsing through the Wadsley Village

notices recently and wonder if it is the same guy who attended Wisewood Seco dary Modern at the same time I did. It was probably early fifties. As I remember his name when a first knew him was Flanagan, but I recall we were told that his name was to change to Dooley. I would like anyone who remembers this time to get in touch. I was Maureen Hutton and lived on Hallowmoor Road on the Wisewood estate.

My mothers family lived on Stour Lane Wadsley Village, their name was Ibbotson. My uncle Vic. was the village cobbler - quite a character. I remember supposedly helping out at his workshop on occasions, I watching and listening to his anecdotes with the various people who visited for a chat as much as anything.

I have sent messages previously, but so far no response. Hope I will have more luck this time.

Md

Edited by maureend
mistake

Terry Dooley was a customer of mine and had the Hallamshire Hotel on West st in the 70s at one time he and his wife Ann lived on Hammerton Rd last i heard of Terry he was living around Dorothy Rd area my late friend Barry ibbotsons dad i think was Vic he also had a sister whose name i forget but when the cottage was pulled down they moved on to Dunella Rd.Barry became very wealthy and lived at Sugworth hall but both him and his wife Pauline has passed away.

I remember the 40' + 50's at wisewood school and people in wadsley, wisewood and the Sutton estate. I used to play with Jennifer Armitage when her parents were licencees of the wadsley star, I remember her joining the sea cadets but sadly she died when she was about 27. a Mrs Brooks had the wool shop across the road from the star, she was related to the Armitages. In my class at the junior school there was David Batty,R Waistnidge, Eileen Battle, Pamela Peach ,B walmesly, R Bentley, Maureen Revill , Keith Valentine and jean Ibbotson.

Edited by terryd
error

Hello, sounds like `R Waistnidge` may be the brother of an `old` schoolfriend of mine - Alan Waistnidge…?? Lived near Balmain or Dunella? Rd

I remember the 40' + 50's at wisewood school and people in wadsley, wisewood and the Sutton estate. I used to play with Jennifer Armitage when her parents were licencees of the wadsley star, I remember her joining the sea cadets but sadly she died when she was about 27. a Mrs Brooks had the wool shop across the road from the star, she was related to the Armitages. In my class at the junior school there was Dave Batty,R Waistnidge, Eileen Battle, Pamela Peach ,B walmesly, R Bentley, Maureen Revill , Keith Valentine, and a girl named Ibbotson. I also remember Terry Dooley.

I think it is possible that we were in the same class at junior school. I remember most of the names you mention and think that Jean Ibbotson was my cousin on my mother's side,

If you are the same Terry Dooley I remember I will never forget my triumph when you slogged the ball and I "caught you out" playing rounders in the school yard. A teacher by the name of Maxi was supervising and he was totally unimpressed.

keep in touch

Md

yes midowl it must be roy waistnidge as he lived on dunella rd, a good footballer and we both played for wisewood juniors in the 40's

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 18:46 ----------

yes it was me but the change happened at the junior school, I was at the senior school for 1yr only and then I went to cts but I do remember teachers Charlie Haydock and Miss Ballard. I do remember Maureen(I could have your surname wrong) and Jean Ibbottson from the juniors.

Edited by terryd

circa 1960's, I lived there until 68/69 when we had to leave the village, move onto the wisewood estate.

We lived in the cottages at the top of stour lane, adjoining the top house pub (rose n crown). We had to move out because the brewery wanted to extend the pub through the neighbouring 3 cottages.

My grandad Bill Fox lived next door to pub, then the cartwrights then we lived in the far end cottage.

The Trickett family had the pub in the 60's then later on Ted Catlin took it over.

Other things I can remember...

Nellie Betneys shop

Conroys shop

co-op next to hairdressers

Doctor Lamb

Jews pitch(football) on the common

Anyone got anymore memories?

My mum's family lived in an old cottage on Stour Lane The Ibbotson family).

The cottage was demolished many years ago to make way for new housing.

One of my uncles (Vic Ibbotson) was the village cobbler for years, what a character.

I attended Wisewood School and lived on Hallowmoor Road. Happy days. I

I recognise the name Trickett and feel we have mutual acquaintances.

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 21:48 ----------

yes midowl it must be roy waistnidge as he lived on dunella rd, a good footballer and we both played for wisewood juniors in the 40's

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 18:46 ----------

yes it was me but the change happened at the junior school, I was at the senior school for 1yr only and then I went to cts but I do remember teachers Charlie Haydock and Miss Ballard. I do remember a Maureen(I could have your surname wrong) and a Jean Ibbottson from the juniors.

Hello - my maiden name was Hutton and yes Maureen is right. Jean Ibbotson is my cousin. I remember the teachers you mention, also pupils Douggie Franks, David Batty, Brian Walmsley all loveable rogues as I remember, good times. Been chased around the playground many times (wish I could run like that now),

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 21:57 ----------

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Hi thanks for getting back to me. Yes I am Maureen (Hutton). I lived on Hallowmoor Road. I remember the teachers you mention also kids from school.

Brian Walmsley, David Batty, Douggie Franks, Keith Valentine (lovable rogues). Been chased around the playground many times, wish I could run like that now. Girls Eileen Battle, Pamela Peach, Dorothy Lawrence and many others. Jean Ibbotson is my cousin.

Edited by maureend
mistake