Tax on bacon and sausage?

I don't think supermarkets help either with their BOGOF deals always on the unhealthy stuff, not to mention the quality of meat compared to a butcher.

Last week I griped that I only got six rashers of bacon from the butcher compared to 8 in a supermarket packet. But the butcher bacon was much thicker, tastier, with no water flowing from it when cooking.

Unsurprisingly you can buy tasty thick cut bacon, in packets of six, than doesn't shrink when cooking it, in supermarkets.

shall we start at the beginning with the harmful chemicals pumped into the animals?

Harmful chemicals.. Such as?

I dont buy into this 'use your local butcher not the supermarket' mantra. Not all local butchers are purveyors of fine quality meat, nor will they be have such stringent hygiene practices as the supermarkets. At the end of the day they are businesses and will just want to maximise their profit- buying as cheap as possible and selling for what they can. Their meat probably comes from the same wholesalers that the supermarkets use.

Obviously there will be 'artisan' or farm shop type superior butchers but most local butchers shops look a bit grotty to me

I dont buy into this 'use your local butcher not the supermarket' mantra. Not all local butchers are purveyors of fine quality meat, nor will they be have such stringent hygiene practices as the supermarkets. At the end of the day they are businesses and will just want to maximise their profit- buying as cheap as possible and selling for what they can. Their meat probably comes from the same wholesalers that the supermarkets use.

Obviously there will be 'artisan' or farm shop type superior butchers but most local butchers shops look a bit grotty to me

I would be in some agreement with that. I have always had a bit of suspicion with those sort of "must buy local" statements.

Yes I am sure some artisan butcher on Eccy Road or in Dore Village or at some country food market in the middle of Hathersage might well have good quality locally sourced. But I am not so sure that Bobs meat van parked up on an industrial estate has quite the same quality control.

There has always been a bit of inverse snobbery against Supermarkets from people who behind closed doors eat just the same.

Its like when you laughingly look through cook books from our so called celebrity chefs. Just, you know grab some quails eggs and some sqid ink and a sprinkling of smoked salt they say.

Oh aye, maybe in some shops on Kensington High Street perhaps. I will just pop into my local Happy Shopper and pick them up..... oh, all they seem to have a bag of spuds, some Crispy Pancakes and a tin of peas.

Back on point though, I would agree supermarkets have come on in leaps and bounds over the decades. I certainly have more faith in their standards as oppose some of the local vendors.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Like your selective quoting :rolleyes: But to answer that specific point, taken out of context, just relatively poor - I suppose.

If these relatively poor children are more likely to be obese; does that mean cheap food is not an issue?

Young school children get free breakfasts and a free meal at dinnertime!

I would be in some agreement with that. I have always had a bit of a bit of suspicion with those sort of "must buy local" statements.

Yes I am sure some artisan butcher on Eccy Road or in Dore Village or at some country food market in the middle of Hathersage might well have good quality locally sourced. But I am not so sure that Bobs meat van parked up on an industrial estate has quite the same quality control.

There has always been a bit of inverse snobbery against Supermarkets from people who behind closed doors eat just the same.

Its like when you laughingly look through cook books from our so called celebrity chefs. Just, you know grab some quails eggs and some sqid ink and a sprinkling of smoked salt they say.

Oh aye, maybe in some shops on Kensington High Street maybe. I will just pop into my local Happy Shopper and pick them up..... oh, all they seem to have a bag of spuds, some Crispy Pancakes and a tin of peas.

Back on point though, I would agree supermarkets have come on in leaps and bounds over the decades. I certainly have more faith in their standards as oppose some of the local vendors.

To be honest i always have a smile when i see farm shop selling quality meats Having been in the transport industry we have delivered a lot of frozen meats to more than a few of them.

I dont buy into this 'use your local butcher not the supermarket' mantra. Not all local butchers are purveyors of fine quality meat, nor will they be have such stringent hygiene practices as the supermarkets.

My local butchers proudly has a Food Standards Agency rating of 5 proudly displayed on its door.

The local Morrisons doesn't.

As for supermarket hygiene:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/54zn6vBfSmYFc10k87Z6bPS/supermarket-hygiene

My local butchers proudly has a Food Standards Agency rating of 5 proudly displayed on its door.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/54zn6vBfSmYFc10k87Z6bPS/supermarket-hygiene

Nontheless.... they do have them

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/enhanced-search/en-GB/morrisons/%5E/Relevance/0/%5E/%5E/0/1/10

Looks like all Morrisons in Sheffield are 5 star.

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/enhanced-search/en-GB/morrisons/Sheffield/Relevance/0/%5E/%5E/0/1/10

Their lamb, pork, chicken, bacon and sausage was all better and cheaper than our local butchers was - his steak however was top quality.

If your location is accurate, according to this is does.

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en-GB/107366/Morrison-Supermarkets-Plc-Southport

So does 587 other Morrisons stores, 2622 tesco stores and 780 Asda stores.

As for your link, I am really not sure of the relevance. Supermarket trolleys are supposed to go outside. Therefore by their very nature they are exposed to rain, airborne dirt, a critical passing bird and fumes blowing out from every vehicle. That's before we get to disgusting germ filled members of the public putting their grubby hands all over them and revolting children climbing in and out of them.

Yes, a supermarket has some cleaning standard to adhere to but its hardly practical nor would customers be prepared to wait for them to clean and disinfect every single trolley before and after each customer. Wonder how many shoppers clean and disinfect their reusable bags after every use?

Food is wrapped, bagged, canned, sealed and shrink wrapped for a reason. Its not like people are carrying around a slab of raw meat or veggies just in their hands or straight into the basket.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Did someone say "Crispy Pancakes"?

Nom Nom Nom :)