Toyota Yaris - any good?

Thinking of buying one of those new Hybrids as they apparently to over 80mpg

YOu see lots of old Yaris's knocking around which suggests they are reliable

Are they comfy, what are they like on performance, does anyone own one?

A mate has the 2017 hybrid, she loves it, not the nippiest of motors but even when they use it as a full family car it performs well, oh and it is her 3rd Yaris in a row.

We have the Hybrid and it is our fifth Yaris. It’s a great little car but that is just personal opinion and much depends on priorities and preferences. It is a small car with a 1600cc engine and that, plus automatic transmission makes it quite responsive, especially when pulling away from stationary. Being old codgers, we drive steadily but in the two years we have had the car, we have never achieved 80 mpg. According to the information on the display, our best is 65 mpg. Most journeys are in the region of 50 to 60 mpg.

Comfort wise, for us there is plenty of space and we don’t feel hemmed in but can’t say how someone who is tall and heavy would feel. Seats are comfortable and driver’s seat is height adjustable. There is good all round visibility, making it easy to park although there is a camera.

Edited by Jomie

Mother has one. It's tiny, really really easy to park and I can't park for buttons.

I had a quick spin and it was easy to drive, but I thought the driving position felt odd even after I messed about with the seat settings. Felt like I was riding in a shopping trolley. Not uncomfortable, just a bit weird for me.

My other half drives our yaris,we have had it for just over three years and no worries with it.The mileage is above average but apart from services it hasn't needed anything.

Mother has one. It's tiny, really really easy to park and I can't park for buttons.

I had a quick spin and it was easy to drive, but I thought the driving position felt odd even after I messed about with the seat settings. Felt like I was riding in a shopping trolley. Not uncomfortable, just a bit weird for me.

I had one for a couple of days a few years back while I waited for insurance repairs to my own car. I can fully identify with your sentiments about "riding in a shopping trolley" :D

The Yaris is a great little car which is why the second hand/resale prices are quite high compared to others in that class.

Quote rogets #1: Thinking of buying one of those new Hybrids as they apparently to over 80.

If mpg is the only reason you are thinking of getting a Yaris Hybrid, you will be disappointed if you buy one.

Have a look at this Telegraph review.

The hybrid Yaris is easily the most economical version in theory, returning an official average of 85.6mpg on the smallest 15-inch wheels, but in reality you’ll be doing well to achieve 60mpg.

That is accurate IMO.

Driving a Hybrid makes you very aware of fuel consumption and it does alter your driving style (for the better). Here is a Toyota blog about getting good fuel economy. Being automatic, they are easy to drive but you need to keep a watch on the dials if you want to return good fuel consumption. When stationary e.g. at traffic lights, you need to keep the car in drive so the engine powers the battery.

Hybrids registered before April 2017 are free of road tax.

Thinking of buying one of those new Hybrids as they apparently to over 80mpg

YOu see lots of old Yaris's knocking around which suggests they are reliable

Are they comfy, what are they like on performance, does anyone own one?

They are telling you lies. If "they" say mid 80's I would guess 50's would be about right.

We have an Outlander PHEV, "They" say it does 156 mpg. In the real world if it did 50/60 I would be delighted.

WE are been fibbed to. The problem is that unless you buy one of the electric abominations and try it like I did, we believe "them". Think back and who were the pariah's of yesteryear, car salesmen. Nothing has changed.

Forgot to add, we had a little Yaris, almost 90k on it when we bought it. It was a grand little car. When we sold it we almost got our money back.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

As a comparison, I had an old second-hand J reg (1991) Fiesta 1.1L, and that returned 40-42 around Sheffield. On a trip to Scotland, taking it steady, it would top 60mpg (assuming the odometer read correctly). I had a nearly new 2005 1.3 Ka and that was 35-7 and 50-52mpg respectively.

They are telling you lies. If "they" say mid 80's I would guess 50's would be about right.

We have an Outlander PHEV, "They" say it does 156 mpg. In the real world if it did 50/60 I would be delighted.

WE are been fibbed to. The problem is that unless you buy one of the electric abominations and try it like I did, we believe "them". Think back and who were the pariah's of yesteryear, car salesmen. Nothing has changed.

Forgot to add, we had a little Yaris, almost 90k on it when we bought it. It was a grand little car. When we sold it we almost got our money back.

Angel1.

I would agree with what is said here, I have a Toyota Aygo which I think claims similar mileage to the Yaris Hybrid but I average actually around 60mpg, which because of inaccuracies in the speedometer and odometer probably gets me around the mid 50's. These exaggerations though are probably fairly universal, so every bodies claimed mileage is probably lower by a similar margin/percentage which probably means the Yaris is still one of the more economical cars in terms of fuel use.

When I looked at buying cars 3 years ago the only user reviews that ever bought up this sort of issue in the Aygo size/price range were the drivers of Fiat 500's who all seemed to make a point of stating that you won't get anywhere like the mileage claimed by Fiat. Along with the claims of mechanical unreliability in the 500 it proved to be the deciding factor in avoiding that particular model.

MPG on Hybrids is very subjective, don't be taken in by the advertisements because they are downright lies.

What you need to remember is the Yaris is not a plug-in Hybrid, you can't charge it at home and use electric only for short journeys.

At the end of the day it's got a 1.5l petrol engine, plus a ton of batteries and stuff to haul around.

You'll do mid-40's on engine only.

We have an Outlander PHEV, "They" say it does 156 mpg.

Yea, but you knew it'd never do anywhere near that.

They did go totally mental on the MPG claims though, 156 was comedy!!