Centrica (British Gas) to cut 4000 jobs

Just read on the news that Centrica - the owners of British Gas are to cut 4000 jobs because they '0nly' made £1.25bn profit last year!! Down 17% on the previous year.

I know business is business but £1.25bn PROFIT isn't too bad, so 4000 people will now lose their jobs.

Is there no end to this Greed!!

Edited by mrcharlie

1.2bn profit is pretty bad on a turnover of >25bn.

Low single digit %.

Ultimately their share price has been tanking for a while now and they need to pick that up so need a credible plan for improving their profitability. Or would of you rather them stick their heads in the sand and do nothing and go the way of Carillion?

It’s easy to knock big business business but it’s in our interests for them to do well. After all, where do you think everyone’s pensions are invested.

Businesses aren’t charities. Welcome to the real world.

Their dual fuel tarrifs are priced at circa one third above the best, folk have been switching from them in their thousands.

As an ex British Gas employee, before and after privatisation, I was loyal to them as suppliers for years. Then I realised the difference in prices and have changed twice in the last few years to get a good deal.

Best of luck to those that are / have been let go.

Apparently not. This is going to be very good news for Corbyn.

Indulge me a little, why is it good news for St Jeremy.

Angel1.

Because Corbyn says that he would renationalise the utilities and that these redundancies would not happen.