Would The Telephone Preference Service ever ring me up ?

Just had a phone call from a foreign sounding lady. She said she was phoning from The Telephone Preference Service and from tomorrow I would get no cold or unwanted calls. I thanked her and she checked my address. When I asked for her telephone number she quickly put the phone down . After dialling 1471 to check her number, no number was given. Is this a scam .? I’ve had scam calls from BT in the past but never from The TPS.

A guy I know once said, when one of these people ring up at night he asks them how old they are, then if they have a boyfriend, if so he said, "shouldn't you be at home then practicing your <removed>!", they hang up, worked every time!

Edited by nikki-red

Sounds dodgy to me. Why would the TPS need your address? I've been signed up to them for years and they've never called me.

Well dodgy I would say why would they want your address it would be on record if it was needed when you first set it up. Phone Bt and report it they can check the number even when you can't

---------- Post added 21-02-2018 at 13:24 ----------

Also if you do register with TPS you have to wait 28 days for activation but I do think they require your address

It's a scam. If the call had progressed they would get to the point of asking for your debit card details for 'confirmation' of your identity.

I play along and give a made up 16 digit number. Only to be told that the number is incorrect. So they're obviously checking to see if money can be extracted from the account.

according to web site contact no is 0345 070 0707 ask them .

Sounds dodgy to me. Why would the TPS need your address? I've been signed up to them for years and they've never called me.

I’ve already been registered with them for years

---------- Post added 21-02-2018 at 13:49 ----------

Scam without a doubt. If you have not already registered, it is very simple:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

Just been in touch with The TPS. They say the phone call I had was a scam, and they would try and charge me for the service. The TPS is free and they would never ring me up.

Well done , sorted

Just want to warn other people of this scam. :suspect:

I have two set answers one for have you had a accident, my reply is yes I can tell you the date it's his birthday next week and he will be 49 so work that out. The other is when they ring about my PC and say about it being wanting something doing to it I say wait one minute while I look at hit I come back you are right because I put it on the wall on our front this morning and it's still ther.

I just tell em to politely clear of, I'm having my dinner/ tea/ supper/ whatever. and put the phone down.