Top considerations when buying log burners

Thanks Jomie, yes I was a bit short on detail wasn't I? :) We live in a 1900s terrace, with a massively wide chimney. It had a metal flue liner put in when the gas fire was installed, but apparently that's not compatible with burners.

No thermostat in the room, and we are having it all decorated so mess is no problem. We don't really want a lookalike, as my other half loves the rigmarole of setting the fire, faffing about, and we like the smell and feel of real fires.

We also need to get the floor seriously insulated, but that's a matter for another thread!

Edited by feargal

About £2000 for a decent burner hearth and install depending on liner length

Cheers alarmingmark. Any recommendations?

As mentioned, go to Nortons on Rutland Road. You need to measure the room so they can tell you what size/output of burner you need. Also take pictures of the current fire. You should decide if you want a wood burner or multi fuel burner. The previous estimate of circa £2,000 sounds reasonable but it all depends on whether work needs to be done on the chimney and if they encounter any problems. You will also need to purchase or make a log store. Factor in the cost of fuel and the chimney sweep too.

Log burners look very nice but maybe suggest to your wife that a healthy pinch of realism might take the edge off her desire to have one, especially if she is going to have to clean it out and fetch the logs in! LOL

Can't fault Nortons on Rutland road , if you want a wood only stove I can recommend contura stoves , had mine 4 years now still looks good as new and we use it most nights Nov - march

Had Ian Stafford install it , recommended by Jeff the joiner ???

Log burners look very nice but maybe suggest to your wife that a healthy pinch of realism might take the edge off her desire to have one, especially if she is going to have to clean it out and fetch the logs in! LOL

I am the wife :hihi: its my fella that has burner ambitions. Trouble is, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

Thanks all for the advice, I shall head to Norton's to plan out.

My husband and I can’t stand the cold nights anymore. So we’re now considering to buy a wood burning stove. We’ve done some research and saw some great products from this log burners Sheffield based retailer. But the problem is, we’re quite uncertain which one to buy. If you can share us some of the main things to consider when purchasing a log burner, that would really help. Thanks!

I can remember when Sheffield was a dirty, smoggy city. I don't understand why we have to have log burning fires or stoves in a city. Quite simply they stink up areas and even Sheffield council won't stem the tide of these things. They are not necessary with gas and electric fires and stoves available in houses. Even pubs with log burning fires stink inside and out and yet the owners see them as a positive. What ever happened to the clean air act and the right to not smell smoke?

If we want to reduce Sheffield pollution we need to ban these appliances.

Make sure it's DEFRA approved for smokeless areas. Do you wood burning only or multi fuel and make sure it is fitted by an approved installer so you get an installation certificate. I got mine from Nortons on Rutland Road, they have a massive selection and were very knowledgeable.

Cold nights?

Top considerations:

1 Neighbours

2 The environment

3 Inefficiency- many if not most wood or ornamental gas fires in normal domestic situations draw more heat out of the building through the air movement they create.

4 Inefficiency- they will cool the room down before they reach operational temperature and the heat transferred into the room is greater (if ever) than the cooling effect of incoming air. You get the benefit along time after demand.

5 Safety- hot surfaces.

6 Air quality- particulates, dirt and dust.

7 Running costs- apart from fuel cost there are ongoing annual safety critical maintenance costs.

8 Installation and capital cost.

The cost of efficient devices using electricity to "top up" on demand is far more useful and energy efficient.

There is obviously a balance between "pretty" but inefficient wood stoves and "utilitarian" electric heater.

JoannaFitzge - why are you experiencing cold nights? Before spending a great deal of money on a log burner (which will only heat one room) you could maybe consider upgrading your existing heating and insulation.

If your gas boiler is old, consider changing it for a new energy efficient one. It would heat the entire house. Also make sure that all the pipes are lagged. Double glazing, cavity wall and loft insulation will reduce heat loss and raise the energy performance rating and value of your house. There are other, simple measures that will increase your comfort in the winter. Plenty of information online.

Edited by Jomie

I can remember when Sheffield was a dirty, smoggy city. I don't understand why we have to have log burning fires or stoves in a city. Quite simply they stink up areas and even Sheffield council won't stem the tide of these things. They are not necessary with gas and electric fires and stoves available in houses. Even pubs with log burning fires stink inside and out and yet the owners see them as a positive. What ever happened to the clean air act and the right to not smell smoke?

If we want to reduce Sheffield pollution we need to ban these appliances.

Their recent resurgence in popularity seems to coincide with the ever increasing cost for energy.

I think if the government properly got this issue sorted you wouldn't see half as many stoves in action.