Problem accessing bank via laptop - help please!

Try power cycling your router, my old BT HH3 router would sometimes fail to connect to some sites. So I would log onto the router and force it to restart.

Try power cycling your router, my old BT HH3 router would sometimes fail to connect to some sites. So I would log onto the router and force it to restart.

How would I do that please?

Halibut - do a search for what's my IP address and make a note of it. Switch your router off for ten minutes then switch it back on again. When it has synched go back to the What's my IP address website again and make another note. Unless you have a static IP it should be different. If it is different, try your bank again. If this doesn't work, try another browser - Windows 10 has Edge built in so you could try that or download Firefox.

Don't know if it will help but sometimes flushing the dns resolves conflicts. Instructions are here.

Security systems - these can block access to certain sites but I don't know if that is the case here because you don't say which anti-virus and firewall you are using.

If you are still having problems having done all that you could perhaps contact the bank's technical department who should be able to advise.

Edited by Jomie

We've ruled out the router by using the phone on wifi to access the page.

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 08:58 ----------

From the laptop, start a command window (dos prompt) and type "ping www.security.hsbc.co.uk" (replace hsbc with whatever the url of the failing page is).

Post the results here.

How would I do that please?

The really simple way to power cycle your router is to switch it off at the mains socket ( or unplug ) wait 60 seconds,

switch back on, wait 2 to 5 minutes ( it depends on your router and network connection, my BT SmartHub takes 3 minutes ).

The network icon on your computer ( bottom right of the taskbar ) will change but should eventually indicate internet access.

Launch your favourite browser and see if the problem still exists.

There really doesn't seem to be any evidence it's a problem at the router.

Bank security checks for anomalies and unusual use and regularly updates the software it uses. Phone the bank and ask if you have been blocked- they don't tell you, they just do it.

Are all cookies blocked?

Have you entered the wrong passwords on more than two occaisions?

Do you use/have used a virtual private network (VPN) like Zenmate?

Have you ever installed software which enables you to watch or download premium sport or films?

Do you have more than one malware/antivirus/spyware programme running at the same time?

Has the computer ever been owned by a company or linked to a workplace network?

Is the computer network set to Public?

Do you use 'hotspots' or similar third party connections?

Do you block all cookies?

Is the computer set to have 'remote access' to or from other computers?

Unusual travel patterns?

Old version of Windows10/Bank software that won't upgrade because your account is not set to Administrator?

If you use the Windows10 recovery option it will only reinstall some essential software, forcing you to re install the latest versions (and settings) of software you need. The Registry is also re-written which can get cluttered with legacy and conflicting information.

You don't get a 404 page not found if the bank is blocking you.

Fix for "This site can’t be reached error" in Google Chrome

Restart DNS client

Change IPv4 DNS Address

Reset TCP/IP

Reset Google Chrome settings

Reinstall Chrome

details from Troubleshooter

Running a ping first would help us to determine if the machine really can't contact that site and indeed what IP address it was trying to use.