Plusnet - wifi a bit rubbish.

Moved to plusnet from BT. BT wifi was excellent throughout the house, although only after we had the latest router (now gone back to BT). Prior to that on the old BT router you couldn't move round he house with a wifi device as it would drop off, or if a few devices were running (and nobody was moving) somebody's device would drop off if someone else turned their on one (I know that last bit sounds a bit far fetched, but that's literally what happen three days on the trot - I turned my iPad on and jumped on SF and somebody else lost wifi straight away). Well, that situation has returned with plusnet.

Would plug wifi boosters work or would a better router be a better idea? And how easy is it to setup a router that is, how best to put it, oem and not affiliated with plusnet? If it's the latter, any routers I should look at? Are there any other issues that might be it?

Have a look on ebay as there are several new and used BT home hub 5 routers for sale at under £20.

Ive got a similar problem to this but we are with Sky . We are supposed to be able to get 5 mbps but sometimes get less than 1 mbps . we cannot get cable . Is there anything we can do to boost the power . Easy answers please cos im not very computer savvy . sorry about hijacking the thread

Edited by hackey lad

Have a look on ebay as there are several new and used BT home hub 5 routers for sale at under £20.

Balls - I sent mine back. Are you saying it would have worked with plusnet?

Balls - I sent mine back. Are you saying it would have worked with plusnet?

Sorry to say but yes, you can use BT on Plusnet and visa versa. The only ones so far I have found locked down are Sky and EE. I presume Vodafone are also as they will not let you use any other router on their network. BTW never send them back unless asked. ;)

Edited by apelike

Sorry to say but yes, you can use BT on Plusnet and visa versa. The only ones so far I have found locked down are Sky and EE. I presume Vodafone are also as they will not let you use any other router on their network. BTW never send them back unless asked. ;)

They did ask - even sent a bag. Thanks for the info though, it's worth knowing for the future.

Talking rubbish again.

You can switch the Vodafone router into modem only mode and then connect it to a router of your choice via Ethernet.

I too had this problem ages back.

You can go into the router and sometimes change the transmit channel, you have about 10 channels to choses from, give it a shot & change the channels till the problems stop.

Talking rubbish again.

You can switch the Vodafone router into modem only mode and then connect it to a router of your choice via Ethernet.

Which means you cannot use your own router on their network without first going through theirs. Try just using your own and you will be locked out from their settings and it will not work. But you probably knew that anyway.. :loopy:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5603868

BTW you do know what "modem" stands for and how it works dont you?

Which means you cannot use your own router on their network without first going through theirs. Try just using your own and you will be locked out from their settings and it will not work. But you probably knew that anyway.. :loopy:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5603868

BTW you do know what "modem" stands for and how it works dont you?

The whole point of this thread is that WiFi was not performing well enough. Explain to me how a modem provides WiFi. It doesn't, router functions do. You claimed you can't use a third party router on the Vodafone network. You are simply wrong.

The whole point of this thread is that WiFi was not performing well enough. Explain to me how a modem provides WiFi. It doesn't, router functions do. You claimed you can't use a third party router on the Vodafone network. You are simply wrong.

no, they technically aren't...

You still have to use their 'router' (all be it in modem mode) to physically connect (authenticate on the network, basically)

You cannot remove theirs totally, plug in your own, and it work..

Although, I don't see why you can't use a 3rd party, DSL is DSL regardless, all you need to know is the correct settings, and username/password...

Works for Sky, they claimed you MUST use their equipment, but I have set up many people on Sky without using the Sky modem/router!