Psalter Tavern - Closed

I'm truly sorry for you and other members of staff that have lost their jobs. Generally speaking hotel staff are some of the hardest working around and I hope everyone finds something soon. I am sure as a Duty Manager you'll know all about long hours!!

Rooms being sold at £30 / £40.00 and not being able to make it work and there are those on this forum who can see the merit of a 5 star hotel in Sheffield.

Thank you very much, I've gone back into the nightclub game again and I believe all other staff have gone on to better things as well which is good!

I personally thought the place could and should have been a gold mine but the powers that be wouldn't listen to our thoughts, the company itself was called UK Pub management, then recently changed to UK Pub (Sheffield) to dodge a bill from npower. They have a few pubs up and down the country, in places like Chester Le Street, Scunthorpe, Plymouth and Cardiff. I personally thought the food was a big issue, the area is nice and people round there probably aren't interested in microwaved pub food and stuff like scampi and chips or chicken strips, for me they should have looked at doing something similar to The Stag or concentrated on doing really good food. People will always travel for good food. That was the plan at one point, we got two very good chefs in but they soon realised they were brought in on false promises and again went to somewhere far better. People always said to me that the pizza was always good and were surprised how quiet the place was. However the thing with pizza is that it is very simple to make, I could do them and I've never been kitchen trained in any respect, and thats why you see places like Players Bar now doing them because they are so cheap and simple to make.

With regards to the hotel, that is what kept it going, every weekend it was full, and through the week you have workmen so it would do well. However they were aware how bad it could be in places, things like showers not being powerful, or sometimes even hot, damp in some rooms. on average I would say you would get a complaint from a quarter of check ins. You would then have to deal with issues like when the company didn't pay the linen company and owed them a decent amount so they turned up one Friday and took all the linen from beds and the cupboard so that was an eventful night!

It wasn't all bad though all the staff that I met in my time there were great and its good everyone has done better for themselves leaving!

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 18:14 ----------

The owner of the building is looking to get rid himself, a lot of work is needed! I have it on good authority he offered The Psalter plus cash for The Rutland hotel, he was politely declinded

Thank you very much, I've gone back into the nightclub game again and I believe all other staff have gone on to better things as well which is good!

I personally thought the place could and should have been a gold mine but the powers that be wouldn't listen to our thoughts, the company itself was called UK Pub management, then recently changed to UK Pub (Sheffield) to dodge a bill from npower. They have a few pubs up and down the country, in places like Chester Le Street, Scunthorpe, Plymouth and Cardiff. I personally thought the food was a big issue, the area is nice and people round there probably aren't interested in microwaved pub food and stuff like scampi and chips or chicken strips, for me they should have looked at doing something similar to The Stag or concentrated on doing really good food. People will always travel for good food. That was the plan at one point, we got two very good chefs in but they soon realised they were brought in on false promises and again went to somewhere far better. People always said to me that the pizza was always good and were surprised how quiet the place was. However the thing with pizza is that it is very simple to make, I could do them and I've never been kitchen trained in any respect, and thats why you see places like Players Bar now doing them because they are so cheap and simple to make.

With regards to the hotel, that is what kept it going, every weekend it was full, and through the week you have workmen so it would do well. However they were aware how bad it could be in places, things like showers not being powerful, or sometimes even hot, damp in some rooms. on average I would say you would get a complaint from a quarter of check ins. You would then have to deal with issues like when the company didn't pay the linen company and owed them a decent amount so they turned up one Friday and took all the linen from beds and the cupboard so that was an eventful night!

It wasn't all bad though all the staff that I met in my time there were great and its good everyone has done better for themselves leaving!

---------- Post added 21-12-2016 at 18:14 ----------

The owner of the building is looking to get rid himself, a lot of work is needed! I have it on good authority he offered The Psalter plus cash for The Rutland hotel, he was politely declinded

I think you could write a book about your experiences there.

I remember the old Roslyn Court Hotel being owned by Sheffield Refreshment Houses Group way back in the 1970's. They also owned Hotel St. George, the Kenwood, St Andrews. Good well respected group. Look at how many privately owned hotels have disappeared in Sheffield. HunterHouse Hotel, Lindrick, Charnwood, Alpha, Montgomery and now the Psalter Tavern. What Tesco and others have done to supermarkets and possibly pubs then the budget brands gave seen off the privately owned hotel.

Do you know what the weekly or annual sales were for the Psalter Tavern ? There's no direct mention on the sales details.

Good luck.

I think you could write a book about your experiences there.

I remember the old Roslyn Court Hotel being owned by Sheffield Refreshment Houses Group way back in the 1970's. They also owned Hotel St. George, the Kenwood, St Andrews. Good well respected group. Look at how many privately owned hotels have disappeared in Sheffield. HunterHouse Hotel, Lindrick, Charnwood, Alpha, Montgomery and now the Psalter Tavern. What Tesco and others have done to supermarkets and possibly pubs then the budget brands gave seen off the privately owned hotel.

Do you know what the weekly or annual sales were for the Psalter Tavern ? There's no direct mention on the sales details.

Good luck.

Sales wise it was pretty poor, I have been there on a Sunday when takings could be only around £100 on food and drink which is nothing really, weekends would also be poor usually under £1000 unless there was an event on, it was only really hotel bookings that brought a decent amount in.

In regards to whether the building will still remain a pub, I'm sure I remember somebody saying that it can't be anything else for another 15 years or so. Had some sort of special license but I'm not too sure about what that meant

Last time I went here was on a very hot day on a quiet lunchtime and I was gasping for a drink. Waited patiently at the bar and the barmaid served a bloke who had clearly walked in after me. I walked out and never went back - and that was ten years ago.

Guest makapaka
Last time I went here was on a very hot day on a quiet lunchtime and I was gasping for a drink. Waited patiently at the bar and the barmaid served a bloke who had clearly walked in after me. I walked out and never went back - and that was ten years ago.

Bit of an overreaction but each to their own.

There's a 'Sale Agreed' notice on the for sale sign now.

Bit of an overreaction but each to their own.

Not really, I've had it happen to me a few times and done the same.

Now open again as The Psalter. Seems to be getting decent reviews as a hotel, but has anyone here been in? Is the bar decent?

OK have been in mesen tonight. Pub-wise, just the hotel bar is open at the mo on the right hand side of the building which serves the usual hotel bar type drinks - mainstream lagers, wines etc. However, spoke to the owner / manager and he said that the central part of the building will be opening again in a few weeks too as a pub, serving cask, and the word craft was mentioned. Will pop back and report. Anyway, its good that the it'll be opening again as a pub and not converted to purely residential use.