Plusnet - wifi a bit rubbish.

....I have a spare boxed BT Homehub5, going cheap? Also a Net Gear plug in Wi-Fi booster!

Edited by mossdog

Get a TP Link router. Wireless signal strength will be far superior.

Yes i got 2 T. P. Links makes the whole house house curcuit live to w fi am on sky myself about £30 each / Ask at shop how many you want bought mine at computer shop handsworth S13

The whole point of this thread is that WiFi was not performing well enough. Explain to me how a modem provides WiFi. It doesn't, router functions do. You claimed you can't use a third party router on the Vodafone network. You are simply wrong.

If you have read the thread then you would realise that this was a response to a poster about routers being locked to the ISP they are from. Routers today are generally modem and router combined, with the modem part of the router dealing with connecting and handshaking to enable you to connect to the ISP. That is the bit that requires you to log in automatically with the user name and password, that bit also gives you various options to use when connecting. Yes you can use a third party router but only as an addition and not a substitute.

---------- Post added 28-11-2017 at 18:07 ----------

Although, I don't see why you can't use a 3rd party, DSL is DSL regardless, all you need to know is the correct settings, and username/password...

Unfortunately Vodafone refuse to give out that information and the details in the setting are greyed out. They insist that you use their own router on their network.

Do you have fibre internet or ADSL, choice of router may depend on what sort of internet connection you have.

With Plusnet you can use any suitable router. I am on Plusnet fibre using a TP Link Archer VR600 which works perfectly.

I wouldn't bother with WiFi range extenders. You may be better off moving your router to a better position in the house if possible.

If the router plusnet gave you is the 'plusnet hub one', this is a BT homehub 5 in a different colour case, so no benefit in buying a homehub 5.

Unfortunately Vodafone refuse to give out that information and the details in the setting are greyed out. They insist that you use their own router on their network.

Sky used to do that, could still use other routers, was easy to do....

I was just reading the vodafone forum earlier (from about August this year) discussing just this subject.. and aparantly you can use your own, as long as it's on the "list of approved OpenReach VDSL Modems"

https://uno.help/knowledge-base/article/openreach-approved-vdsl-modems