Stop tap / water meter question

The stop tap inside our house is leaking slightly and ancient so could do with replacing. We would also probably save money with a water meter. I've heard that if you get a water meter installed, your internal stop tap is replaced anyway? Does anyone know if that's right? The stop tap is on some old lead piping if that makes any difference?

The stop tap inside our house is leaking slightly and ancient so could do with replacing. We would also probably save money with a water meter. I've heard that if you get a water meter installed, your internal stop tap is replaced anyway? Does anyone know if that's right? The stop tap is on some old lead piping if that makes any difference?

My house in Barnsley had a water meter fitted but the stop tap was not changed

Thanks, I thought it was worth a try checking.

I have another question about stops taps. There's an external stop tap in the passageway connecting our house and three neighbouring terraced houses. This is marked as a stop tap and I guess would turn off the water for our neighbours as well as our house. But there are also some iron lids on the street marked 'YW Meter'. There seems to be one outside most houses. Are these also stop taps are they something else?? Thanks

You should already have an external stop tap [ by law] they will replace this and just fit a new external stop tap and meter Generaly fit new external stop tap in your boundry not in causeway. Any thing past new stop tap / meter is your responsibility see a plumber

---------- Post added 30-11-2017 at 10:45 ----------

Thanks, I thought it was worth a try checking.

I have another question about stops taps. There's an external stop tap in the passageway connecting our house and three neighbouring terraced houses. This is marked as a stop tap and I guess would turn off the water for our neighbours as well as our house. But there are also some iron lids on the street marked 'YW Meter'. There seems to be one outside most houses. Are these also stop taps are they something else?? Thanks

The one in the passageway will turn ot all 3 houses thats why you should have an internal one were supply enters house. .Most likely the ones in the street are

mains supply you could lift a lid up and look tell straight away no ordinary tap need a special tool to turn on /off :hihi:

You should already have an external stop tap [ by law] they will replace this and just fit a new external stop tap and meter Generaly fit new external stop tap in your boundry not in causeway. Any thing past new stop tap / meter is your responsibility see a plumber

---------- Post added 30-11-2017 at 10:45 ----------

The one in the passageway will turn ot all 3 houses thats why you should have an internal one were supply enters house. .Most likely the ones in the street are

mains supply you could lift a lid up and look tell straight away no ordinary tap need a special tool to turn on /off :hihi:

I know you need a special tool to turn off the external stop tap off and that's why there's an internal stop tap. :hihi: I just wondered if anyone knew what 'YW Meter' is. If we can turn the water off externally without turning off the neighbours water that's preferable really :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I know you need a special tool to turn off theede external stop tap off and that's why there's an internal stop tap. :hihi: I just wondered if anyone knew what 'YW Meter' is. If we can turn the water off externally without turning off the neighbours water that's preferable really :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Youre getting it wrong: You dont need a special key to turn of external stop tap one in passage way is an ordinary key and turns yours and neighbours off.

The YW Meter' is a mains supply and you need a special to use . YW Meter' means Yorkshire Water mains supply

The only special tool I've needed to use was when the tap was too far down to reach by hand. It was simply a U shaped piece welded to a T bar - the U piece simply slotted over the T handle on the tap.

The only special tool I've needed to use was when the tap was too far down to reach by hand. It was simply a U shaped piece welded to a T bar - the U piece simply slotted over the T handle on the tap.

No for big mains supply that Fire engines use its a special mains key. I have one if you want to buy it £30 / Gypsys use them :hihi:

We used to have them on building sites years ago :hihi: