Sheffield Forum

Blades vs Fulham 21/11/17

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Sport & Activities > Sheffield Football

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-11-2017, 17:02   #61
petcharlie
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: rotherham
Total Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVY-OWL View Post
One player doesn't make a team, if you start losing games now he's injured your definately nowhere near ready to go up. On one hand you should be disappointed conceding 5 and probably deserve to for that but then any team that scores 4 would expect to of won.

Sounds like a very entertaining game, I wouldn't of been too disappointed having to watch that even if I was watching the losing side.
Well the team got a standing ovation at the end so that says something about what the fans thought of it.It was a great game to watch no body fell asleep and the Blades still showed all their fighting spirit.We all got our monies worth just a shame the performance was marred with 2 glaring errors from one player who now has to get over it.He knew straight away what he had done but we must remember he is still learning his trade but the fight was all there for everyone to see and in Wilder we are in good hands .Great game wrong result.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 16:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalk View Post
Good post Chalga. We have to reflect on what we’ve already “ achieved” this season, the primary aim was to consolidate and hopefully not be involved in a relegation struggle, anything more is a bonus.

Last night was a wake up call. Wilder and Knill will hopefully take something from the match. We were chasing shadows at one point, a classy outfit Fulham, or are we missing Coutts so much. With respect to the lad, Lundstrom looks a pale imitation
I think a couple of things were against us last night and of course we missed Coutts.What team in this league would not miss a player like him?I do remember though when he first came here he had few fans including me but he has been transformed since Wilder took over.Remember we have no right back either and Basham must be applauded for helping out in that position but he is no full back and we miss him in mid field .He shines in the middle and always gives 100% but at right back I think he is left wanting even though he gives it everything.
  Reply With Quote
22-11-2017, 17:51   #62
abbeyedges
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Total Posts: 277
A guy said to me at half time that every season we always have a 'mad Tuesday'. He recalled Southend last season, Shrewsbury a couple of seasons back. I can remember Watford in our 2006 promotion season.

Let's hope that last night was this season's 'mad Tuesday' out of the way.

Fulham were very good but we pushed them all the way. At the end there were about 5 of their players lying face down on the pitch. It was like a battlefield. Absolutely knackered.
  Reply With Quote
22-11-2017, 18:07   #63
NERVY-OWL
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Total Posts: 11,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by petcharlie View Post
Well the team got a standing ovation at the end so that says something about what the fans thought of it.It was a great game to watch no body fell asleep and the Blades still showed all their fighting spirit.We all got our monies worth just a shame the performance was marred with 2 glaring errors from one player who now has to get over it.He knew straight away what he had done but we must remember he is still learning his trade but the fight was all there for everyone to see and in Wilder we are in good hands .Great game wrong result.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 16:15 ----------


Yes it was a very poor pass for their first, not sure what he was thinking with that but he'll learn from it no doubt. It was just one of those games, on another day you would of come out on top
  Reply With Quote
22-11-2017, 19:04   #64
petcharlie
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: rotherham
Total Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVY-OWL View Post
Yes it was a very poor pass for their first, not sure what he was thinking with that but he'll learn from it no doubt. It was just one of those games, on another day you would of come out on top
Yes you are right but Fulham were very quick they had a lot of pace up front and the way the Blades play they are always open to the sucker punch from a team with pace.Having said that I do not want them to alter the way they play which is usually on the front foot it is great to watch even if they leave them selves open to the sucker punch.
  Reply With Quote
22-11-2017, 20:33   #65
atticus
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Total Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyedges View Post
A guy said to me at half time that every season we always have a 'mad Tuesday'. He recalled Southend last season, Shrewsbury a couple of seasons back. I can remember Watford in our 2006 promotion season.

Let's hope that last night was this season's 'mad Tuesday' out of the way.

Fulham were very good but we pushed them all the way. At the end there were about 5 of their players lying face down on the pitch. It was like a battlefield. Absolutely knackered.

I noticed the Fulham players at the final whistle, they were absolutely shot.Thats the best performance from the away team i've seen at the Lane for a couple of years.Play like that every week and they'll not be far away at the end of the season.
The Blades; defended like amatures at times and bombed forward like a team of under 10's on a Sunday morning.I reckon if we'd have scored the 4th goal 5min earlier Wilder would have gone goalie wag in search of the equaliser.Great stuff, shame about the result.
  Reply With Quote
22-11-2017, 22:14   #66
Ridgewalk
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalga View Post
We might well have lost that game even with Coutts,enough of us flagged it as a banana skin and got proved right.
I'm just glad,if we were going to lose in that way,the goals went like they did,with us only having an early lead.3-1 up with 20 minutes to go or 4-4 in the last minute and conceding 5 would have been even more sickening.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 13:23 ----------



What worries me about Lundstrum is that many Blades are saying he doesn't look up to it,so what did Wilder see in him to buy him?
I doubt whether Wilder would have said to him,just go and do what Coutts does,because he must realise that he can't,and the best way to demoralise a player is to ask him to do what he can't........I can't see Wilder putting pressure on him to do that at this stage.

You’re right. Unfair to compare Lundstrom with Coutts, different players different attributes. The lad can only play as well as he can. Hope he grows into the role. I’ve yet to see Carruthers have a prolonged run in the team. Seemed strange to see Hansen come off the bench, i’d have given Donaldson a chance.
  Reply With Quote
23-11-2017, 10:17   #67
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,736
Status: Online
Anybody have any views on the managements decisions on the night?
After we went 1 up,they came straight back and forced Blackman to make a save,so the warning lights must have flashed then,and things got worse from then on.
Did Wilder react to that and try to get us some defensive cover,or has he just thought we aren't backing off,go toe to toe and may the best team win?
Maybe a more pragmatic approach and circling the wagons for 20 minutes might have been the way to go,or are we saying that we did it right and but for individual errors,we could have won?
  Reply With Quote
23-11-2017, 10:52   #68
the fonz
Registered User
the fonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Total Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalga View Post
Anybody have any views on the managements decisions on the night?
After we went 1 up,they came straight back and forced Blackman to make a save,so the warning lights must have flashed then,and things got worse from then on.
Did Wilder react to that and try to get us some defensive cover,or has he just thought we aren't backing off,go toe to toe and may the best team win?
Maybe a more pragmatic approach and circling the wagons for 20 minutes might have been the way to go,or are we saying that we did it right and but for individual errors,we could have won?
I think Wilder has admitted as much in the interviews, we pushed players forward too early and left ourselves vulnerable at the back allowing them to get the 4th goal.
_______
I'm going down, to, La la land
  Reply With Quote
23-11-2017, 10:55   #69
Antone
Registered User
Antone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Total Posts: 405
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalga View Post
Maybe a more pragmatic approach and circling the wagons for 20 minutes might have been the way to go,or are we saying that we did it right and but for individual errors,we could have won?
That's more my view, and it was certainly Wilder's.

Sure, sit back and absorb pressure is a possible plan B. But we're not really a side that can do that. It takes the personnel, lots of coaching and training etc to have that in a team's tool box (look at Burnley right now, for eg). And Bramall Lane crowds definitely do not like it.

Saying all that, I think Fulham were good. Pacey and passed the ball well. Best visiting side I've seen at the Lane this season (maybe bar Wolves before the sending off.)
  Reply With Quote
23-11-2017, 11:55   #70
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,736
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fonz View Post
I think Wilder has admitted as much in the interviews, we pushed players forward too early and left ourselves vulnerable at the back allowing them to get the 4th goal.
I was thinking more about what happened in the first half,because what happened in the second was a direct result,but at 2-3,you are well in the game so to leave yourself exposed at the back with quite a while to go is very risky when they were built to counter attack,they must have been overjoyed to see us go for it.
  Reply With Quote
23-11-2017, 12:57   #71
petcharlie
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: rotherham
Total Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalga View Post
I was thinking more about what happened in the first half,because what happened in the second was a direct result,but at 2-3,you are well in the game so to leave yourself exposed at the back with quite a while to go is very risky when they were built to counter attack,they must have been overjoyed to see us go for it.
Well I was overjoyed to .Wilder always goes for a win and long may it continue. Far better than crab football and lets face it being on the front foot as done us proud up to now.I agree we are open to counter attacks when you have your center backs playing along side your forwards but it is great to watch.We must let Wilder do his thing after all he has made few mistakes up to now lets trust his judgement.As we have seen if he gets it wrong he will hold his hand up which is a nice change from what went off before.I do not think he will be holding it up many times though.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:48.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server