Blades vs Fulham 21/11/17

Funny, you forgot to mention that United scored 4 ! Three points lost but only one goal deficit in the goal difference column. Like losing 1-0. Better than 2-4 ;)

I wondered who'd be the first one to respond...:hihi:

It was only tongue in cheek....we'd swap league positions with you right now..!

I wondered who'd be the first one to respond...:hihi:

It was only tongue in cheek....we'd swap league positions with you right now..!

I’m sure a lot more would :hihi:

Wilder didn't sound too downbeat in his interview,maybe he's just putting it down to individual mistakes rather than something more fundamental,maybe Fulham were the wrong team at the wrong time after having to adjust to life without Coutts,but we are certainly going to have to learn how to play without him quickly and adjust our system accordingly.

Birmingham should be more to our liking,and this game assumes even more importance to us now that individuals and as a team,we have to get our confidence back and do more of what we proved we can do,the basics,pass and press,plus the extras that got us good results already.

It's a regular occurance that a team going on a bad run coincides with the loss of a key player,so the next game is going to tell us a lot.

Edited by chalga

Good post Chalga. We have to reflect on what we’ve already “ achieved” this season, the primary aim was to consolidate and hopefully not be involved in a relegation struggle, anything more is a bonus.

Last night was a wake up call. Wilder and Knill will hopefully take something from the match. We were chasing shadows at one point, a classy outfit Fulham, or are we missing Coutts so much. With respect to the lad, Lundstrom looks a pale imitation

Good post Chalga. We have to reflect on what we’ve already “ achieved” this season, the primary aim was to consolidate and hopefully not be involved in a relegation struggle, anything more is a bonus.

Last night was a wake up call. Wilder and Knill will hopefully take something from the match. We were chasing shadows at one point, a classy outfit Fulham, or are we missing Coutts so much. With respect to the lad, Lundstrom looks a pale imitation

One player doesn't make a team, if you start losing games now he's injured your definately nowhere near ready to go up. On one hand you should be disappointed conceding 5 and probably deserve to for that but then any team that scores 4 would expect to of won.

Sounds like a very entertaining game, I wouldn't of been too disappointed having to watch that even if I was watching the losing side.

We might well have lost that game even with Coutts,enough of us flagged it as a banana skin and got proved right.

I'm just glad,if we were going to lose in that way,the goals went like they did,with us only having an early lead.3-1 up with 20 minutes to go or 4-4 in the last minute and conceding 5 would have been even more sickening.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 13:23 ----------

What worries me about Lundstrum is that many Blades are saying he doesn't look up to it,so what did Wilder see in him to buy him?

I doubt whether Wilder would have said to him,just go and do what Coutts does,because he must realise that he can't,and the best way to demoralise a player is to ask him to do what he can't........I can't see Wilder putting pressure on him to do that at this stage.

Wilder was spot on in his post-match video. 1st goal was a CCV error. 2nd was an unlucky bounce off a clearance. 3rd goal bad defending (Basham let his man get away from him for a free header), 4th and 5th Wilder said were his fault for pushing the team up to get goals (but even one of those got a lucky deflection).

I thought Fulham were good. Some v fast, skillful players and some fantastic passing. They bossed midfield at times. One of those teams with everything in place but jus not clicking?

I did think we missed Coutts, but am sure we have good enough cover for now in Lundstram and Carruthers. As Wilder said first off in his interview, there'll be some analysis, which I take to mean figuring out how to make the most of what we've got to work with, esp in midfield.

4 goals and a hat-trick tho - crazy game!

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 13:30 ----------

What worries me about Lundstrum is that many Blades are saying he doesn't look up to it
Yeah, all the experts that know more than Wilder and Knill. It's a pity we can't employ them instead :D

He probably just needs a good run in the team, start to mould him to what's needed and tweak the way we play to his strengths etc. It's all about the coaching with CW

Wilder didn't sound too downbeat in his interview,maybe he's just putting it down to individual mistakes rather than something more fundamental,maybe Fulham were the wrong team at the wrong time after having to adjust to life without Coutts,but we are certainly going to have to learn how to play without him quickly and adjust our system accordingly.

Birmingham should be more to our liking,and this game assumes even more importance to us now that individuals and as a team,we have to get our confidence back and do more of what we proved we can do,the basics,pass and press,plus the extras that got us good results already.

It's a regular occurance that a team going on a bad run coincides with the loss of a key player,so the next game is going to tell us a lot.

Loss of confidence after scoring 4?

There's a real football world out there.

There's absolutely no problem with confidence at S2 surely!?!??!

I wouldn't have said so. Often fans project their own fears onto a team, I think.

Wilder was spot on in his post-match video. 1st goal was a CCV error. 2nd was an unlucky bounce off a clearance. 3rd goal bad defending (Basham let his man get away from him for a free header), 4th and 5th

We said very similar to this after the Sheffield Derby debacle. We end up gobsmacked and angry. I, for one, will remember this post and will take some comfort from it. Ifs, whys and maybes make your team look like Turkeys at times. It hurts, especially when opposing fans twist the knife. Both Sheffield clubs will be fine, but who'll be finer?

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Loss of confidence after scoring 4?

There's a real football world out there.

Probably not collective confidence,but the individuals who made the mistakes,they and Wilder will know if they took a blow in that game and need building up for the next.

Wilder will guide them back to normality, without a doubt. Normal service will resume for the next game, don't worry.