Johnny Fantham Wednesday legend goalscoring record

A recently released book (The Wednesday Boys) claims that the great inside forward scored 166 goals in total.

Other records (The Wednesday Archives) suggests 167.

I have always belived the latter to be correct. Does anyone know who is right?

Not So! The site also gives career goals in total.

Sorry Mr Blue Owl I misunderstood your message. Thanks very much for the site link.

No worries mate. Have you checked out the "Wednesday Mad" website? Got a lot of history there. If you can't find it I'll post the URL.

No worries mate. Have you checked out the "Wednesday Mad" website? Got a lot of history there. If you can't find it I'll post the URL.

Thanks for the offer mate but I already have it.

Up the Owls

Didn't Fantham own a barber or hairdressing shop on

Division St?

Don't know about goalscoring, but he had at least two barber shops. One on Division Street and one down the alley next to Suggs at the top of The Moor. He also had a business dealing in machine tools.

Didn't Fantham own a barber or hairdressing shop on

Division St?

Yes he did! I got my hair cut there once and the legendary Derek Dooley (Wednesday manager at the time) was sat in the chair next to me!!

One of the best inside forwards to wear the the blue and white stripes, not sure if he got a full england cap , but i,m certain he played for the football league team a few times

Keith Farnsworth's tome, "A Complete Record" has it as 167.

Fantham's shop on Division Street, was run by a Polish chap called Steve.

He has for a long time been a very good golfer and plays at Hallamshire.

I remember in 1961 when he scored Wednesday's winner against Spurs 2-1.

This Spurs' side went on to win the double that season and they lost their unbeaten run at Hillsborough.

Fantham got one cap against Luxembourg in 1961. He was born 6 Feb 1939, so belated 67th John.

Hi Chairboy

Do you remember the 7-0 thrashing they gave West Ham the same year. if i remember correctly the west ham keeper that day was a young lad called Noel Dwyer, and not regular Laurie Leslie.

Yes, I certainly do but it was a season earlier in 1959 Nov 28 when West Ham, managed by Ted Fenton came to Hillsborough as league-leaders. Wednesday hit 'em for seven, never mind six! They had scored four in the first 25 minutes - Fantham 2, Finney 2, Ellis, Wilkinson and Bobby Craig were the Owls' marksmen. att 38,307.

You're correct about the hapless goalkeeper, Eire's Noel Dwyer. Lawrie Leslie was one of my favourites at the time, signed from Airdrieonians. I can't remember the Hammers' line-up but suspect Bond, Allison, Grice, Cantwell and Musgrove were on parade? There was certainly an atsmosphere in those days. Comparing eras is always odious but I still think that collectively, that team was the best I've seen at Hillsborough. The Spurs' side of 1961 was exceptional and Wednesday finished runners-up in the top flight, something they have never repeated. Forget cup competitions, they are more of a lottery.