Bus pass qualification

After looking into bus pass qualification age, I noticed that it's usually, state pension age, but if you live in Scotland, Wales or N Ireland you can get it at 60!, wonder why England (again) is different!

After looking into bus pass qualification age, I noticed that it's usually, state pension age, but if you live in Scotland, Wales or N Ireland you can get it at 60!, wonder why England (again) is different!

The governments of NI, Scotland and Wales subsidise a very rural, subsidy dependent bus service where social isolation is a very big problem. They also enjoy 'social deprivation' and 'economic regeneration' funding from the EU.

The UK government subsidise the over 60's in London and Merseyside for purely political reasons.

Why? Tory government decision.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

I’ve been told in Scotland you get bus passes at 60, free prescriptions for all, students don’t pay university fees and long term care also paid for, you don’t have to sell your house, could be a good place to move to if it’s true.

If Sturgeon calls for another independence referendum and wins, will all of that change?

If you have a Disability pass before your 65, Why is it taken away from you and replaced with a OAP pass?

you do get it at 60, when women qualified for the pension at 60. So look up when a female qualified for the OAP at 60 and if you the same age male you qualify the same.

If you have a Disability pass before your 65, Why is it taken away from you and replaced with a OAP pass?

I can't find a reason, it happened to a friend of mine. However, she's found it makes little difference, as since retirement she rarely needs to travel before 9.30 am.

---------- Post added 27-08-2018 at 07:42 ----------

Something to ask your MP about I think!

Funding for the Disability Pass comes from the local council.

The entitlement for a Disability Pass is awarded by the local council.

The funding for the ENCTS senior pass is primarily from central government.

The increase in age of entitlement of the senior pass to 66+ has reduced government spending(less pensioners) and increased council spending(more disabled passes).

Funding for the Disability Pass comes from the local council.

The entitlement for a Disability Pass is awarded by the local council.

The funding for the ENCTS senior pass is primarily from central government.

The increase in age of entitlement of the senior pass to 66+ has reduced government spending(less pensioners) and increased council spending(more disabled passes).

Makes sense then to pass it back to CG when people do reach state pension age.

you do get it at 60, when women qualified for the pension at 60. So look up when a female qualified for the OAP at 60 and if you the same age male you qualify the same.

Men and women will be entitled to a senior bus pass when they reach State Pension age- which is now between 65-66 and rising.

Why should you get one just for living a long time, it's an outdated policy of free transport from a bygone age.

Why should you get one just for living a long time, it's an outdated policy of free transport from a bygone age.

I have to say I do agree to a certain extent. Instead of giving them out to everyone that reaches a certain age, I think they should be means tested.

The ENCTS senior pass scheme is only ten years old.

It is only free pass between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays.

It was introduced to get votes, a change in the way bus operators were subsidised and a futile attempt to maintain rural services.

Selfishly I would like it, but it needs to end.

Ordinary Sheffield working people pay more for their journeys as the subsidy does not cover all the fare. We all pay higher taxes to sponsor a Londoners travel (£5 billion a year) on nationalised transport.

Before PTEs all bus companies had special discounts to attract off-peak usage at no cost to users

Basically it is a mess and it needs to change.