E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

I just received my new "electronic cigarette" in the mail today. Actually, it's not a cigarette at all but a nicotine suspension vaporiser: a small electronic device that vaporises a small amount of nicotine suspended in a safe solution which can then be inhaled like tobacco smoke.

Well I have to say that it's marvellous how it hits the nicotine addiction spot just like a tobacco cigarette. Unlike a tobacco cigarette smoke, e-cig vapour contains no carcinogenic or other harmful materials except nicotine, with which a long term smoker is used to self-medicating in any case.

I would like to see the Government supporting this product as a serious, far-healthier alternative to smoking for those nicotine addicts who struggle with cessation.

good luck, i see it as an excuse not to stop smoking, it keeps feeding that little nicotine gremlin thats built in, stopping smoking means no nicotine at all, my mates got an e cig so ive seen it work, if u want the government to to support this thing get your hands in your pocket and get ready for the tax on it, other wise keep them in your pocket and stop. i were on 60 a day for 25 years it were that bad i had a fag in a mornin soon as my eyes opened while still in bed, i like a beer as well so they went together, ive been stopped smoking a year now and dont miss it and would never start again, when i see others smoking now i think silly b*****ds, if i stopped anyone can, i sit back now and think how glad i am to be free of it

I just received ... a nicotine suspension vaporiser: a small electronic device that vaporises a small amount of nicotine suspended in a safe solution which can then be inhaled like tobacco smoke.

I wonder why they bother suspending such a strongly poisonous carcinogen in a 'safe' solution?

good luck, i see it as an excuse not to stop smoking, it keeps feeding that little nicotine gremlin thats built in, stopping smoking means no nicotine at all, my mates got an e cig so ive seen it work, if u want the government to to support this thing get your hands in your pocket and get ready for the tax on it, other wise keep them in your pocket and stop. i were on 60 a day for 25 years it were that bad i had a fag in a mornin soon as my eyes opened while still in bed, i like a beer as well so they went together, ive been stopped smoking a year now and dont miss it and would never start again, when i see others smoking now i think silly b*****ds, if i stopped anyone can, i sit back now and think how glad i am to be free of it

Smoking in itself isn't the problem....If you remove all but the addictive crap...why not promote an alternative to what's available at the moment, that doesn't kill or harm?

You smoked for 25yrs and only gave up a year ago?...yer right..must have been a doddle giving up.

Can understand those that have never smoked, but nothing worse than an ex smoker patronising smokers.

You smoked for 25yrs and only gave up a year ago?...yer right..must have been a doddle giving up..

A grandparent of mine gave up smoking the week the public smoking ban began. After i believe smoking since the age of about 14?

i never patronise, were all allowed to do what we feel right, i dont mind a smoker i did it for long enough, but i will say when i smoked if someone told me to stop i didnt like it, but its only the little nicotine gremlin inside that tells non smokers to sod off, when the addiction has gone our brains are allowed to think as they want, not told by a gremlin in our heads

A grandparent of mine gave up smoking the week the public smoking ban began. After i believe smoking since the age of about 14?

And your point?

I wonder why they bother suspending such a strongly poisonous carcinogen in a 'safe' solution?

Nicotine isn't significantly carcinogenic - about the same level as toast.

I just received my new "electronic cigarette" in the mail today. Actually, it's not a cigarette at all but a nicotine suspension vaporiser: a small electronic device that vaporises a small amount of nicotine suspended in a safe solution which can then be inhaled like tobacco smoke.

The "safe solution" is fog machine fluid.

There is little research on the toxicity or harm potential from inhaling a concentrated stream of mist.

This study determined that cumulative exposure to mineral oil and glycol-based fogs were associated with acute and chronic adverse effects on respiratory health. This study found that short-term exposure to glycol fog was associated with coughing, dry throat, headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, and tiredness. This study also found long-term exposure to smoke and fog was associated with both short-term and long-term respiratory problems such as chest tightness and wheezing. Personnel working closest to the fog machines had reduced lung function results.

Well I have to say that it's marvellous how it hits the nicotine addiction spot just like a tobacco cigarette. Unlike a tobacco cigarette smoke, e-cig vapour contains no carcinogenic or other harmful materials except nicotine, with which a long term smoker is used to self-medicating in any case.

I would like to see the Government supporting this product as a serious, far-healthier alternative to smoking for those nicotine addicts who struggle with cessation.

Snus is better, and it's a natural product ratified by the Swedish Food Safety Board (one of the most stringent in the world).

Edited by Phanerothyme

Nicotine isn't significantly carcinogenic - about the same level as toast.

Well you live and learn. Thank you. I'm right that it's pretty poisonous though?

Well you live and learn. Thank you. I'm right that it's pretty poisonous though?

Only if you eat 20-40 slices of toast a day...:hihi:

E-Cigs are ridiculous. The idea is ridiculous and the look ridiculous. If you want to stop smoking (and I can't see why you would, it is; after all - the 2nd coolest thing you can do) then you should just stop like a real man would. Not mess about with this stupid fake cigs or patches.

If you can't stop smoking, listen to your body, it obviously likes to smoke