Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I'm suspicious of rough sleeping stats. I don't know if the criteria is still the same but when I volunteered with the rough sleeping count in Sheffield admittedly a few years ago and done on just 1 night we could only count sleepers in the town centre and individuals had to be laid down and asleep or preparing for sleep. Sitting up in your sleeping bag talking to a mate didn't count. We found 3 people who qualified so that became that year's official rough sleeping stats for Sheffield. It's not as simple as just putting a roof over someone's head. The issues that have caused someone, particularly young single men, to be homeless or rough sleeping don't go away and follow them into accommodation. Disruptive behaviour, failure to engage with support services and chaotic lifestyles often lead to a loss of housing. Many individuals have been through this cycle several times ending with increasingly limited options as they are barred by organisations they have previously been involved with

I think the key phrase here is 'admittedly a few years ago.'

I think the situation has changed markedly of late, especially with the 'austerity' cuts, and grown a lot over the last few years.

The other thing is, in my experience a lot of rough sleepers hide away when they settle down for the night, for fear of being mugged/abused/moved on.

Anyway, good for you getting involved, and doing your bit. :)

Support charities who help homeless people. That ensures resources go to genuine homeless people rather than professional beggars. Offer food, hot drinks, other practical items to rough sleepers, just not cash.

This has been explained numerous times, and is the advice handed down by all the agencies and charities who help rough sleepers and other homeless people.

In my experience (over 25 years working for homeless charities), many agencies mirror the advice given by Shelter Scotland;

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/guides/homelessness/helping_someone_on_the_streets

"It is a personal choice if you want to give money to someone who is begging, but bear in mind that not all people who beg are homeless and not all homeless people beg."

Yes. But try to buy Big Issues too.

I think the key phrase here is 'admittedly a few years ago.'

I think the situation has changed markedly of late, especially with the 'austerity' cuts, and grown a lot over the last few years.

The other thing is, in my experience a lot of rough sleepers hide away when they settle down for the night, for fear of being mugged/abused/moved on.

Anyway, good for you getting involved, and doing your bit. :)

I agree. Even when I was involved with the rough sleepers count we knew that there were many more people sleeping outside the designated area for the count. Also the groups of people we encountered sitting and chatting wrapped in sleeping bags confirmed they were going to be eventually sleeping on the streets. My point was that the criteria set by the government for inclusion in the statistics grossly underestimated the true picture

I have seen that co-op guy being dropped off by a 4x4 in the morning. I also saw a kind pensioner hand him a cereal bar. He just grunted and stuffed it in his pocket. Not that hungry then.

I have seen that co-op guy being dropped off by a 4x4 in the morning. I also saw a kind pensioner hand him a cereal bar. He just grunted and stuffed it in his pocket. Not that hungry then.

I remember a while ago now the bloke who used to beg outside the fountain water feature near the train station used to regularly walk down the hill for his "shift" in the morning with a dog. He has since moved on now as the one there I dont recognise.

This whole problem is a reflection of our failed society.

Of course there are too many people on the streets, homeless, mentally ill, people with grief etc.

The government has done little to address this and the chickens have come home to roost.

Add to this, the opportunist beggar, the organised beggars and the like; and the results are grim.

The aggressive, phoney beggar gives the genuine homeless a bad name and an even tougher existence.

But how do we tell the difference?

That's where the government and councils should work harder (together if that's possible!)

Do more for the homeless, absolutely, but weed out and punish the fraudsters, because that's what they are.

More prison officers/proper prisons/proper prison sentences for criminals

More police

More homeless initiatives

More social housing

Upgraded education

Conclusion= More investment!

I have not posted on here about Sheffield City Centre for 8 years, was not good then but I went to town this morning and I got asked for 25p on the Moor:hihi:

This whole problem is a reflection of our failed society.

Of course there are too many people on the streets, homeless, mentally ill, people with grief etc.

The government has done little to address this and the chickens have come home to roost.

Add to this, the opportunist beggar, the organised beggars and the like; and the results are grim.

The aggressive, phoney beggar gives the genuine homeless a bad name and an even tougher existence.

But how do we tell the difference?

That's where the government and councils should work harder (together if that's possible!)

Do more for the homeless, absolutely, but weed out and punish the fraudsters, because that's what they are.

More prison officers/proper prisons/proper prison sentences for criminals

More police

More homeless initiatives

More social housing

Upgraded education

Conclusion= More investment!

Exactly. But you're not going to get any investment with this Conservative government's 'Austerity' cuts.

Street beggars. homeless, lack of police etc are austerity in action.

What did people expect?

If the begger is lying on his back then it is safe to say he is trying to get back on his feet.

Exactly. But you're not going to get any investment with this Conservative government's 'Austerity' cuts.

Street beggars. homeless, lack of police etc are austerity in action.

What did people expect?

I dont think you can just blame austerity. I think there are a group of beggars and some homeless who have been through the system quite a few times. In fact I often follow Sheffield Tent City on Facebook. Anthony "Tent City" Cunningham even pointed out a couple of guys who are barred from various charities. These excluded people are a problem that needs dealing with. I dont know how though.

I dont think you can just blame austerity. I think there are a group of beggars and some homeless who have been through the system quite a few times. In fact I often follow Sheffield Tent City on Facebook. Anthony "Tent City" Cunningham even pointed out a couple of guys who are barred from various charities. These excluded people are a problem that needs dealing with. I dont know how though.

Austerity and changes to benefits will have resulted in some people losing accommodation, but you're right, its not the only reason people are on the streets. It is difficult to know each individuals circumstances, some are not homeless, some have as you say, been round the system and are well known to housing and substance workers. Not all street homeless people wish to 'conform'. Not all beggars are substance users/abusers, not all users beg.

The only way people can be helped, if help is available, is by genuinely wanting to change. When there was more money available, some got intensive tenancy support, which was successful in some cases. I remember one individual who got daily support. He would stop drinking, start managing his life, look clean and tidy. He did this on several occasions, but always ended up back on the street. Like you, i don't know what the answer is, or if there even is one. I donate a little to the Archer project, but they arent the solution for everyone.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

The top and bottom of this is, no matter how much hot air about homeless "not beggars" are spoken, no matter how much money is thrown at it, homelessness in any country will never be eradicated.

i challenge any poster to enlighten this thread of any country in the world that has got no homeless people living on the street?