Campanology - Bell Ringing

I have recently started bell ringing in the area and i have to say it is a great hobby and really good to meet new people. i was wondering if there was anyone else out there who learns :)

---------- Post added 16-08-2018 at 19:37 ----------

To clarify, Campanology is church bell ringing :D

Just curious, is the venue where you do this bell ringing in a remote area, or near houses? If anyone was ringing bells near me for a while I think I`d get the hump.

Just curious, is the venue where you do this bell ringing in a remote area, or near houses? If anyone was ringing bells near me for a while I think I`d get the hump.

Most churches are near houses...

Unfortunately as most towns are built with a church at the centre it's difficult. The most I know bells being rang for is 6 hours as a competition. I do it as it's a dying art and otherwise there'd be no wedding bells. No celebration bells. Nothing.......thankfully it's very difficult to put a noise complaint in against church bells as most councils recognise there a historic thing. This year there ringing bells across the country on remembrance day as part of a poignant tribute......sure that'll please people!

I did this as a teen, along with handbell ringing (and every other sort of music I could think of) but it's been a while and I'd be unable to do it now due to disabilities. It's a really good whole body workout until you get the technique right!

To clarify, Campanology is church bell ringing :D

I love to hear good bell ringing, but just to clarify, church bell ring is part of campanology.

Campanology encompasses more than this.

Campanology "the art or practice of bell-ringing" says the dictionary.

Angel1.

Campanology "the art or practice of bell-ringing" says the dictionary.

Angel1.

Buy a better dictionary.

it encompasses a lot of different aspects, Yes they are all bell ringing in some shape or form......... Church bell ringing (change ringing), Handbell Ringing, Carillon ringing, Ellecombe chime ringing ect ect. they are all under the same name but the most popular in england is church bell ringing on a close par with handbells

..... oh. The arrogance of ignorance.

Go and have a look at the complete OED. Not some cut-down online version.

Bell-ringing is, as already mentioned, only part of campanology.

Buy a better dictionary.

?. Your wit eludes me. Sorry.

Angel1.