Sheffield Forum

Postman and rubber bands.

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

17-10-2008, 21:19   #1
nikita

Total Posts: 2,250
Ive noticed that our postman always leaves a trail of red rubber bands behind him as he does his rounds,
should this be classed as littering ,why dont they just put them in their pocket and take them with them.
17-10-2008, 21:21   #2
Saff

Total Posts: 1,494
I'm sure most of them do, sounds like yours is just a litter lout!
_______
The man who never alters his opinions is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.
William Blake
17-10-2008, 21:24   #3
mollie

Total Posts: 388
I`ve noticed that too, but we only get the plain brown sort how come you get red ones, do you live in a better area maybe?
17-10-2008, 21:24   #4
neeeeeeeeeek
Sumatran rat-monkey

Total Posts: 14,645
Someone where I used to work collected them and created an elastic band ball which had it's own gravity so he's not alone!
_______
Peeple of zee wurl, relax!
17-10-2008, 21:24   #5
nikita

Well i dont mind really i just collect them up they always come in handy.
17-10-2008, 21:26   #6
nikita

Well i am not sure mollie what area do you live?
17-10-2008, 21:50   #7
armandswench

Total Posts: 93
other than making a rubber band ball, flicking thingd and being a post man, what do you use rubber bands for?
_______
Pomme de sang
17-10-2008, 21:54   #8
nikita

Well i am a childminder i just throw them in the busy box for the kids i have seen them used for all kinds of things have you got no imagination ,tell you one thing they never get wasted.
17-10-2008, 21:56   #9
manzmanz

Total Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollie View Post
I`ve noticed that too, but we only get the plain brown sort how come you get red ones, do you live in a better area maybe?
Ive just moved away from S10 but our postman was the exactly the same every night when we walked the dog we picked up half a dozen or so red rubber bands on our walk around the block.

As someone else said I too have a red rubber band ball (somewhere in my removal boxes).
17-10-2008, 22:00   #10
MICK-SWFC

Total Posts: 135
Ive noticed it too, I started to make a ball with them, the more times he comes the bigger it gets. Saves us having to get them in at my work
17-10-2008, 22:35   #11
bus man

Total Posts: 5,323
One problem is if you drop a rubber band you dont hear it fall so you dont always know its been dropped.

The idea of getting the red bands so that they could be seen and the post(wo)man would pick them up , unfortunatley all that as happened is that the number of complaints about dropped bands as gone up
17-10-2008, 22:46   #12
TYPS

Total Posts: 792
S35 and we have loads of red bands on the floor round here!!
_______
NEAD, PNES, NES, Non Epileptic Attack Disorder, Non Epileptic Seizures, Pseudoseizures, Pseudo-Epileptic Seizures, Dissociative Convulsions, Psychogenic Non Epileptic Seizure, Dissociative Seizures, Dissociative Convulsions, Hysterical Seizure, NEAD Trust is a UK Charity for sufferers, family and carers
17-10-2008, 22:59   #13
WallBuilder

Total Posts: 4,313
The postman round here only leaves boring brown rubber bands but for some unknown rreason I still have to pick them up and then put them with the growing collection in my junk drawer. I do find uses for them sometimes but seem to have slightly more than I know what to do with at the moment.
_______
Life, don't talk to me about life
17-10-2008, 23:02   #14
*RTC*

Total Posts: 523
Yep I haven't had to but an elastic band for 2 years thanks to my postie! During this Credit Crunch I don't see it as a bad thing. :-)
18-10-2008, 00:16   #15
gillybear

Total Posts: 701
The post office moved to red rubberbands a couple of years ago after a campaign about postmen dropping bands. The red bands are more bio-degradable than the old brown ones and also it's obvious who's dropped them when you complain. Do complain to your local sorting office, they should take action if regular complaints are made.

The brown bands do appear occasionally, mainly on pre-sorted mail from outside companies and they find their way into the system.

As a postman i use bands on a daily basis, they are a tool of the job and should always be kept, i place them on my wrist until i get a few and then bag them. I drop very few but it does happen and if i spot any on the ground the following day i pick them up.
18-10-2008, 00:23   #16
deedar

Total Posts: 732
Can't remember the last time I bought any rubber bands, if ever I need one I just walk outside and pick one up off the street.
18-10-2008, 01:47   #17
jennyren

Total Posts: 545
i love rubber bands... when i was a TEEN i chewed them ..CRAZY OR WHOT ...xx
18-10-2008, 07:47   #18
bus man

Total Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillybear View Post
...................... Do complain to your local sorting office, they should take action if regular complaints are made.

Would be better complaining to your local delivery office as the sorting office doesnt have any delivery postmen
18-10-2008, 08:32   #19
scottcave

Total Posts: 16
I am sick of rubber bands on letters - whats the point? - they've all got to go in your letterbox anyway!
18-10-2008, 08:58   #20
Laddo

Total Posts: 177
We regularly get them on our drive and even on our doorstep. I came home one day to find my cat chewing on one!
Reply To Topic