Sheffield Forum

Smartly dressed woman asking for money round the station last night

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

08-10-2006, 14:15   #1
randolf

Total Posts: 270
Last night while walking a friend to the building formerly known as the centre for popular music, we were asked for money by a very well turned-out young lady. Her story was that she had missed the last train and had her wallet stolen so could only get the coach etc etc etc.

She was in nice clothes and was well made-up and certainly didn't look like the people normally asking for money. But her story was obviously nonsense and a lie.

Did anybody else meet her and what did you think? It baffled us trying to figure it out.
08-10-2006, 14:18   #2
YakQueudrue

Total Posts: 934
If she was genuine she'd have gone straight to the nearest police officer.

You don't need to be in mucky ill fitting clothes to be a scrounger you know!
08-10-2006, 14:27   #3
weenireeni

Total Posts: 4,023
you sure it wasnt the girl off 'the real hustle'?????
_______
wonderful wifey & baby bore
08-10-2006, 17:10   #4
Hook

Total Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by randolf
Last night while walking a friend to the building formerly known as the centre for popular music, we were asked for money by a very well turned-out young lady. Her story was that she had missed the last train and had her wallet stolen so could only get the coach etc etc etc.

She was in nice clothes and was well made-up and certainly didn't look like the people normally asking for money. But her story was obviously nonsense and a lie.

Did anybody else meet her and what did you think? It baffled us trying to figure it out.
She's been around for ages, she often harangues people in the taxi queue at the station and there's always some poor fool who falls for it
08-10-2006, 17:35   #5
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 75,759
Quote:

This is an old trick tried by different scroungers.A man with a haversack on his back stopped at our bus stop,and said he had lost his bus fare,and could we spare a copper. Nobody fell for it,but at least he didnt bother us after that. The haversack was obviosly a prop.
08-10-2006, 17:42   #6
butchill

Total Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattricia
This is an old trick tried by different scroungers.A man with a haversack on his back stopped at our bus stop,and said he had lost his bus fare,and could we spare a copper. Nobody fell for it,but at least he didnt bother us after that. The haversack was obviosly a prop.

THE HAVERSACK WAS NOT A PROP IT WAS FOR THE MONEY HE COLLECTED
08-10-2006, 21:16   #7
pippadoll

Total Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattricia

Haversack. How cute! Spare a copper! What an odd turn of phrase. I haven't heard that word for many, many years. What type of prop would a haversack make? Didn't the almost extinct job of a miner used to carry a haversack? Maybe its a throwback from the unemployment caused by Mrs T when she shut down the S Yorks coalfields. It all fits, as you could travel on S Yorks buses for a few coppers way back then. Before my time in Sheffield, but my mates keep reminding me of the good old days.

Or maybe he used to be a copper, but lost his job for not policing the coal disputes becuase of his political beliefs and family commitments. You werent' allowed to be exempt from duties in the bad old days for beliefs or values. As a result he has been wandering with his haversack looking for a job.

I am completely thrown by this one.
_______
Come Monday there are only four days to the weekend
08-10-2006, 22:02   #8
probedb

Total Posts: 5,676
The sad thing with people like that is that I refuse to give anyone any change now. People trying to abuse others generosity means I'm not generous to those that probably need the cash.
09-10-2006, 00:34   #9
bendus2

Total Posts: 205
Had a family friend who gave this woman 20 pounds. Is definitely a con.
09-10-2006, 16:22   #10
Deepcarowl

Total Posts: 469
Quote:

Sounds like "Blonde haired hooded woman" has finally raised enough money for a wash and some clean clothes then
_______
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have
09-10-2006, 19:12   #11
happyhippy
SlŠinte!

Mod on the Other Side
Total Posts: 19,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepcarowl
Sounds like "Blonde haired hooded woman" has finally raised enough money for a wash and some clean clothes then
I was just thinking the same myself ......
09-10-2006, 19:49   #12
hmr44

Total Posts: 3,293
I got one the other day, she had a little girl with her and I reeeeeally didnt know if she was telling the truth about not being able to get home. I offered to let her use my mobile to call home and she refused and the little girl didn't seem phased by it at all.

I was thinking about her all night though, worrying if she was telling the truth. I didn't have any money myself though so I did all I could.

But there are people who would go out and beg with their children, its just wrong
10-10-2006, 07:42   #13
bendus2

Total Posts: 205
This woman is a totally different class than the blond haired woman, you could almost genuinely believe that she has lost her purse, which makes it all the more galling...
10-10-2006, 10:38   #14
Lemony
Account Closed

Total Posts: 226
I had someone asking me for cash to go to a B&B cos they'd only been on the streets "for 2 days" and it was cold! Luckily I had the perfect "excuse". I've just started a new job so have little money till I get paid!

Anyway, my question is: If any homeless people want to get shelter, does the Council or any charities have anything available? I'd like to be able to point him in the right direction next time!
10-10-2006, 10:43   #15
JoeP
A Regular Joe

Total Posts: 14,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemony
I had someone asking me for cash to go to a B&B cos they'd only been on the streets "for 2 days" and it was cold! Luckily I had the perfect "excuse". I've just started a new job so have little money till I get paid!

Anyway, my question is: If any homeless people want to get shelter, does the Council or any charities have anything available? I'd like to be able to point him in the right direction next time!
Now there's a thought - if someone COULD post thse contact details then we could print some postcards on our PCs with the details on and dish them out when we get approached....
_______
"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - CG Jung
My homepage : http://www.joepritchard.me.uk
10-10-2006, 10:56   #16
never wrong

Total Posts: 1,607
I suppose many of you will have been to Spain and quite probably seen a different form of begging.

The women that sit at the side of the road with a new born baby in there arms asking for money, at 3am , and more than likely the so called baby is a doll, or even worse the baby as been "borrowed" from the real mother just for this purpose. I have seen this in BENIDORM MARBELLA AND SALOU but I suppose it happens almost everywhere in Spain. This wrong and nobody should give them money if nobody gave they would pack it in.
10-10-2006, 11:23   #17
pitsmoorlad

Total Posts: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendus2
Had a family friend who gave this woman 20 pounds. Is definitely a con.
Can't help but think that it's because good hearted people fall for it and give them £20, that they keep on doing it. I wouldn't think that anyone who has genuinely lost their bus fare / had their purse nicked would be asking complete strangers for money. Wise up people.
_______
Don't worry men, they couldn't possibly shoot us from that dist......
10-10-2006, 16:35   #18
Lemony
Account Closed

Total Posts: 226
Yes, it used to be mainly Spanish gipsies... now it's mostly Eastern-Europeans doing this in Spain, although I have heard of quite a white Spaniards getting rich doing this... I think the councils 'moved on' organised gangs in places like the Alhambra who'll 'guard' your car for a fee or pester you to get your fortune read! The really annoying one for me is when people get into underground trains and pretend to play an instrument when they are really only playing a CD! One such guy in Paris decided we were all stingy b**** because after standing his choice of canned music didn't pay him as well!

Forgot to say this usually is more likely to happen in tourist haunts... more likely to fall for it and lots of guilty feelings and ready cash!
12-10-2006, 22:30   #19
jasmine500

Total Posts: 103
Definitely was not the blonde haired woman. Saw her today and she looks as filthy and smelly as ever and it would take much longer than 48hrs to look that awful
_______
"Sometimes it is better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission!"
03-05-2008, 22:28   #20
Farmboy

Total Posts: 1,124
Apparently Gemma hasn't been seen for a long time now. I just asked Farmgirl as she occasionally came into contact with her through her work. 'Not seen her for months' was the reply I just got so she's either moved on or her addiction has finally got the better of her.

Soz to dig up an old thread but I couldn't find the original thread relating to Gemma - blonde haired hooded woman asking for money.
_______
Gerrof moi laaaaaaaaaaaaand!
Reply To Topic