DVD repair recommendation?

Can anyone recommend someone to repair a Sony DVD / Hard disc recorder. I realise it's probably more economic to buy a new one, but there's a lot of stuff on the hard drive I'd rather not lose.

Thanks

Edited by Grahamfff

What's the problem with it?

if it's powering on and displaying a picture, (but such as not reading DVD's) then you could still save what's on the drive...

there could also be a way to put the drive in a PC and read from it, probably require some special software as I doubt it would be windows readable, - a little research required!

I can hear the hard drive spinning but the machine appears not to even attempt to read either the hard drive or a DVD. I can see nothing on the TV screen that si being 'sent' from the machine - no picture, no menus etc.

It may be possible to read the disc on my computer but this may be beyond me technical abilities. Also, I have a lot of un-finalised DVDs which won't play on any other machine so I'd like to get this machine working if at all possible.

Is there a splash screen when the sony device is turned on?

Have you tried a different lead in a different tv socket?

Is there a splash screen when the sony device is turned on?

Have you tried a different lead in a different tv socket?

No and yes, respectively!

What model is it?

There's often a button combo you can do to attempt to reset it, in case of any issues..

it's always the first thing I check for and do... if you have the manual it should be in there somewhere, otherwise a quick google you should be able to find it!

A PC repair place should be able to remove the hard drive and get the data for you.