1901 f a cup final

Hi New member to the forum

Currently doing some detailed research into the 1901 F A Cup Final played between Sheffield United and Tottenham Hotspur, if there is anyone who can help me it would be very much appreciated, especially anyone who may be related to any of the players who played in the final and replay.

Any memorabilia that survives or stories that have been passed down over the years, I would love to hear from you, I know it was a long time ago, but at the time Sheffield United were probably the best team in the country, although United lost this final it was played in front of a world record crowd and obviously caught the imagination of supporters not just from London and Sheffield, but all over the U K as well.

Contact John Garrett at SUFC. He is the guy in charge of the Hall of Fame museum in the Cherry Street stand.

Hi New member to the forum

Currently doing some detailed research into the 1901 F A Cup Final played between Sheffield United and Tottenham Hotspur, if there is anyone who can help me it would be very much appreciated, especially anyone who may be related to any of the players who played in the final and replay.

Any memorabilia that survives or stories that have been passed down over the years, I would love to hear from you, I know it was a long time ago, but at the time Sheffield United were probably the best team in the country, although United lost this final it was played in front of a world record crowd and obviously caught the imagination of supporters not just from London and Sheffield, but all over the U K as well.

Love to help, but I had to work that day :wink:

Contact John Garrett at SUFC. He is the guy in charge of the Hall of Fame museum in the Cherry Street stand.

Hi Runningman, Thanks for the contact, I have been to Bramall Lane and met John, a great guy who was extremely helpful to me.

Recently I got involved with the Tottenham Experience which is Spurs` new Football museum.

They are dedicating one of the rooms to the 1901 Cup Final, I have got quite a few items that relate to the final, which I am lending, though most are Tottenham items.

I am trying now to find items that relate to Sheffield Utd, things like postcards, railway flyers, supporters favours, anything that would have been produced at the time.

I know it is a long shot that there is anything out there, but I thought there was no harm in asking

A visit to the Central Library in Sheffield where they will have newspaper references for the match will also be of help.

I think the Newspaper library is in Shoreham Street, when I visited John at Bramall Lane a few months ago, I walked passed it on my way to the train station.

It will definitely be worth a visit, also there may be some items in Sheffield museum, I live in Cardiff so I don`t know Sheffield very well, I do think a further visit has to be arranged.

The games were on the 20th April and 27th April. This might help if you look in newspapers.

Have you looked in the British newspaper Archive?

Hi Hopman Yes, I do subscribe to the British Newspaper archive, the Sheffield Newspapers have given me an awful lot of information.

Since I first posted I have found in Bruce Castle museum which is about a mile away from White Hart Lane, an In Memoriam card or Funeral card as they were also called, these postcard sized items were produced in there thousands at the time but hardly any have survived.

Thanks everyone who has posted so far, I will keep searching for items that still may be out there, I would love to unearth a few gems that could still end up in the new museum that is being set up at Tottenham