Books and booze

Hiya

A while ago someone started a topic about getting some sort of book group together. There seemed to be a fair bit of interest, but as far as I can tell, it either never got off the ground or died out.

I've been trawling around for a reading group or something to join, but unfortunately a lot of them in Sheff are targeted very much at retired people. Good for them. Bad for me.

Would anybody be up for joining some sort of book group? The group as a whole would decide when and where to meet (although monthly and a pub would get my vote) and we'd also all put suggestions forward for books etc. I'd be happy to try and organise summat if there's enough interest. Particularly keen to attract people in their twenties and thirties, as most book groups in Sheffield attract much older people. Surely I can't be the only twentysomething who'd be up for books (followed by booze, if people were interested)? Although, obviously, everyone would be welcome!

PM me if you want to register interest, or post a reply with general enquiries and suggestions. I reckon we could expand it out past the forum and get other people involved too.

Blissy

Post some titles and see who bites!

You might even be able to blag some space from the Community Media, Waterstones or the back room of a pub (though the latter can be off-putting for non-drinkers).

Joe

No comment mimi :P

Blissy - a friend of mine regularly meets other book lovers in Leeds. They all use the site http://www.bookcrossing.com

Sure there must be Sheffielders on there, its a global network of bookworms :)

I'm a member of that too - not been to the meetings in Leeds but have passed a few good offers on during the past few months.

that is a brilliant website, i joined. go have a look, its ace:thumbsup: http://www.bookcrossing.com -referrer is loyalandsmiley, dont think i get anything though! add me as a buddy :)

Mimi, I did something similar when I did hostelling round Europe. LEft books I'd read with my email address in. Only ever got one email though so far.

But about book club, sounds great.

Or could just set up a sort of sharing thread in here, where people list what books they have and are willing to lend, and arrange handing over by pm.

I think a book group for younger people is a great idea :D I'd be interested.

right, brilliant. i say we set it up then! id love to have it at my house but its absolutely tiny. so anyone have a house to fit?

Linds

x

you can count me in too.......but a slight snag - I have 3 small kids, so if it could be a pub that is open to kids, then I come and join in the chat and take em home while you lot get sloshed!!

failing that, id better make it a night i leave the kids with their dad!!!

somewhere central would be good, as i dont drive.

sue:D :D :D

Depending on what you are reading, I would be interested.