Paragliding

Following on from the Gliding Topic (which I'm also interested in) I thought I'd seek out some info on Paragliding.

I've seen people doeing this out in Castleton and with it being an easier sport (is it a sport?) to take up than hand gliding.

I'd like to also do hand gliding but with all the equipment required I'd prefer to start small and work up to it in the future.

Besides a parachute is easier to transport :P

Where would be the best place to start getting involved in this?

As I understand it, you need to gain a licence to be able to do it on your own - so a course to get that licence would be required.

Does anyone do it already?

Would anyone be interested in joining this with me?

Certainly like to give it a go...wether I keep goin I couldnt promise!

PM me as and when you find out if do-able.

Cheers

I've tried both hang gliding and paragliding - and you have to be pretty dedicated to learn in this country. Ideal weather rarely happens especially for beginners. I'd love to be able to ridge soar and thermal but after many courses only ever managed top to bottom glides (but the best of these was 20 minutes long). I've forgotten the name of the Sheffield school I went to, but it doesn't seem to be in existence anymore (maybe it is now The Derbyshire Flying Centre as I reckon it was Stephen Hudson who gave me some lessons http://www.d-f-c.co.uk/index.html). You could check out schools in the area at http://www.bhpa.co.uk

Cheers for the information there Spinac - I'll look into it :D